Curtisimo’s Best Coins of 2018 (8 Previously Un-posted)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 15, 2018.

?

Please pick your 3 favorites!

1. 10. Dyrrachion Stater

2. 9. Maximinus Daia Follis

3. 8. Nerva Denarius

4. 7. Thasos Tetradrachm

5. 6. Ragusa Dinar

6. 5. Mn Aemelius Lepidus Denarius

7. 4. Diocletian Argenteus

8. 3. Trajan Denarius

9. 2. Faustina I Denarius

10. 1. Commodus Denarius

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Okay friends, time for my next bonus coin!

Curtisimo's coins
    That his wife wore in her shoe

As many of you know I invited you all to my wedding earlier this year ;)

You are all invited to my wedding!

In the lead up to my wedding I was saving up for, well... wedding stuff, so didn't have as much money to spend on coins. One day my wife was speculating on what would be her "something borrowed, something blue" and looked up the origins of this rhyme. The whole thing apparently goes.

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue and a sixpence in her shoe"
    Now I'm interested...

Me: "So you need a sixpence for the wedding?"

My wife: "I guess so.."

Me: "I can help with that" *silently celebrating victory*

Below is the coin that got me through my wedding-driven, early year dry spell.

For those interested: Yes she wore it in her shoe at the wedding and, no, it was completely undamaged. :)

Elizabeth_I_AR_Sixpence_1575.jpg

England, Tudor Dynasty
    Elizabeth I (1558-1603)
    AR Sixpence, London mint, Struck 1575
    Dia.: 26 mm
    Wt.: 2.92
    Obv.: ELIZABETH D G ANF FR ET HI REGINA: Crowned bust left
    Rev.: POSVI DEV ADIVTOREM MEV: long cross over arms with date above
    Ref.: Seaby 2563

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I for one would NOT allow my wife to even handle one of my non slabbed coins, she is allowed to handle the slabbed ones, as long as her hands are clean. That is why I ONLY bring slabbed coins to our monthly coin club meetings, "Show and tell". All of the coins in 2X2 saflips, I would be nervous, in case someone would want to remove it from protective flip. My motto, "coins should never be touched, unless one wears special coin handling gloves". But, my wife is encouraged to give me coins for Christmas/ Birthday/ Anniversary:):):):):):)
    Talking about Christmas presents, Judi (my wife) will have a teeny-weenie box under the tree, it will have an Empress inside that I really admire!

Curtisimo, you are a lucky guy that your wife loves coins too:happy: You have nice way of showing your coins. I just use sixbid photos.
    John

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

An incredible list of coins and that Ragusa! :wideyed: I am jealous. Heck, I wouldn't mind owning all of those coins, there are all beautiful eye candy....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  5. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I love that, Curtis! I am an unabashed romantic and your story captivated me at first blush! How can a marriage built on the foundation of a tanner not flourish and prosper?

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My wife and I have always attached a sixpence to the shoe of the bride of our relatives/friends for their weddings. Not ever been a collectible, but still the same sentiment.

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I picked #1, #3, and #8, but heck, they're all superb! Congrats on an excellent numismatic year!

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello again friends! I have one more bonus coin to show off before posting a few of my favorite coin books and wrapping up the thread with my "top ten according to CT" tomorrow!

Curtisimo's coins
    That stick out like a sore thumb

All the coins in my collection have a few things in common, among which are: they are all circular in shape and I know at least a little bit about them. Well now I can say that these things are no longer true. Below is my new coin that is shaped like a spade and that I know almost nothing about! I intend to fix the later at some point and I am rather intrigued by the former.

Chinese_Spade.jpg
    Xin Dynasty
    Emperor Wang Mang (7 - 23)
    Huo bu spade.
    Dim.: 57 mm x 22.5 mm
    Wt.: 16.09 g
    Obv.: HUO BU (“Money spade”).
    Rev.: Blank, as made.
    Ref.: Hartill 9.30
    Ex Sallent collection

One of the reasons I purchased this coin was that @TypeCoin971793 's fascinating thread gave me at least some context concerning Wang Mang. Pretty cools stuff.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/go...ory-of-the-rise-and-fall-of-wang-mang.315047/

This was also a cool purchase for me because I bought it from AMCC 1 and it came from the collection of a fellow CTer: @Sallent !

........................................................​

If you have a mind to... please post your coins from 2018 that are most different from the rest.

9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks guys! It was quite literally a once in a lifetime reason for buying a coin :happy:
    ...and yes. I do very much consider myself a lucky guy :shame:

panzerman likes this.
  10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Alright friends its time for my last bonus post related to my 2018 acquisitions. It wouldn't feel right to summarize my year without highlight at least one or two books that I added to my library this year.

Curtisimo's
    Favorite books and the like

Medieval Slavic Coinages in the Balkans
    I was surprise that my favorite reference book of 2018 was a medieval reference. I bought this book so I could research my new Ragusan Dinar and was not disappointed. It has a lot of very good information and is presented in a easy to follow way. It contains a catalog with line drawings of the coin type shown right next to the catalog number (as opposed to separately at the end). Photos of the coins being discussed are included right in the text as shown below. I highly recommend this book for anyone who collects medieval coinage of the Balkans.
    IMG_7272.JPG

Galerius and the will of Dioclectian
    I also like to continue adding history focused books to my library not just because I enjoy learning about history but also because it helps add context to the coins I am interested in. As many of you know one of my sub collections is coins of Diocletian and the tetrarchy and this book is one of the most available sources for historical information on this period. I am still reading but so far I have been greatly enjoying the book.
    IMG_7273.JPG

11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Well that is it folks for my 2018. The only thing left to do now is to post my top 10 of 2018 according to my friends at CT.

I think this is a fun exercise to go through because it allows me to compare how my taste in coins for the year lines up with the popular opinion. One of the stand outs that surprised me this year was how popular my Weary Hercules turned out to be :) Very cool!

My 2018 According to CT
    Commodus_Hercules_CSH_AD-192.jpg
    Diocletian_AR_AD_294_CSH.jpg
    Max_Daia_Follis_Herc_313_CSH.jpg
    Trajan_Denarius_Danvvivs_107-8_CSH.jpg
    Nerva_AR_Denarius_Oct_AD_97_CSH.jpg
    Ragusa_AR_Dinar_CSH.jpg
    Faustina_Denarius_AD_294_CSH.jpg
    M_A_Lepidus_RR_Denarius_114_BC.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well that's it everyone! Thanks for viewing and voting in the poll.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

KILLER collection @Curtisimo ! Perhaps you should BE in the 2019 Imperator’s Tournament! :)

13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I second that great suggestion:happy:

Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks guys :)
    Someone has to actually run the tournament though so that rules me out as eligible :cool: It's enough for me to know that our members here enjoy the game and that it provides value to the forum. :)

panzerman, Valentinian and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted