Current Gold Grading with TPGs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ilmcoins, Apr 4, 2018.

1. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

I know that grading is subjective and all of the pros, cons, etc.

Im curious if anyone has any recent experience with PCGS and NGC and as a result has formed an opinion on which one is more conservative when it comes to placing grades on pre-1933 USA gold coins?

Has anyone had any luck with getting an upgrade when crossing gold coins from one to the other recently?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I have gotten a decent amount graded with both, and have no sense on who is more lenient. I've never tried crossing any, but I have a few toned gold in ngc holder I might try crossing if they have a promo for it.

ilmcoins likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It doesn't really work that way. NGC and PCGS have always had their own specific grading standards, and still do. And even though those standards have become a lot more lenient that they ever used to be, they each still grade different series in different ways. In other words, you can't just say all pre-'33 gold coins. You have to break it down into individual series of pre-'33 gold coins. With this one, NGC is tougher, with that one PCGS is tougher. That's the way it's always been, with all coins, and still is.

Reports on this always go both ways, in other words there is no general rule. Sometimes one or the other will upgrade, and sometimes one or the other will downgrade. And it doesn't matter which one is which.

The same thing is true with coins slabbed by the other TPGs as well. Sometimes NGC and/or PCGS will upgrade coins previously slabbed by ICG or ANACS, and sometimes they will downgrade them.

thomas mozzillo and coinsareus10 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted