Currency Note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

So who wants this one and what would you pay?
    I think it's a heck of a keeper.
    PS it is not mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

I really love the central vignette* and it's black ink contrast from the green as well as the complex typography hugging the central vignette on the back of this note.

It's super hard to tell the grade in these tiny pics, maybe about $1200 without any detailed high res shots to go by???

Are you starting to look to acquire one of these?

There seems to be a missing element on the face: a vertical charter number usually appears on the face, left of center but to the right of the bigh "1" and horizontally on the note right of center, above the word "dollar"? Any idea why this hasn't got them?

*Landing of the Pilgrims engraved by Charles Burt.

4. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I'll take it. My guess is that it would go closer to $2000 unless the missing charter number makes it an error that someone goes crazy for. (I couldn't even come close to it at those prices)

5. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

This is an Original Series note; the charter number wasn't added until Series 1875. The other main difference between the two is in the serial numbers: Originals have the Treasury serial and bank serial in completely different typefaces, while 1875's have them both in the same typeface.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks NUMBERS. I was looking at my Friedberg (2nd ed.) guide book and didn't notice any examples, but I've rechecked and there is a footnote that "Some notes of this type lack the charter number or have it printed only once." The two visual examples this edition reproduced were June 15th 1875 with a charter number under the NBN "Original Series" ("First Charter Period") section: Fr. 380 - Fr. 382 -and- January 2nd 1865 NBN Series 1875 ("First Charter Period") section: Fr. 383 - Fr. 386, also with a charter number. In both cases there are two red charter numbers on the face with the addition of "Series 1875." under one of the charter numbers on the note shown for the 1865 (1875) note. It seems the book was also using these examples to point out differences in the red seal designs on the face and so just made a footnote to readers about the notes lacking a charter number as I was asking about. Thanks again. Great info as per usual. :smile :thumb:

7. kathynumismatis

kathynumismatis Heritage Auctions

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Draft saved Draft deleted