Currency (Album) Storage

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by coinup, Jan 26, 2011.

1. coinup

coinup Junior Member

I know this has probably been beat to death - anyway - I currently store my raw notes in Dansco series albums, straight up in the page. Are these sleeves safe for long term? I've read where Mylar-D seems to be the favorite, and I've looked for replacement pages for my albums but no luck (3 sleeve).

What are your thoughts on Dansco currency pages? Should I replace them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Mylar-D is what PCGS uses for there slabs and would not trust my collection to any other
    Material, I think you can find these on e-bay, i have a baseball card collection where the
    Sleeves were made out of PVC overtime the yellowed and cracked almost ruined my
    Collection!

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Mylar-d is good, as is any polyester sheet.

5. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I would get individual holders of good material, one for each note. Then slip those holders in your existing pages.

Dave

6. coinup

coinup Junior Member

cool, thnx

I'll look into those

7. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

8. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Thats a good idea, but if the notes are large notes they won't fit. I've looked everywhere for pages that are wide enough to hold large sized currency that are in individual holders, but have found none. I think they all have a uniform width so they fit in all the same size binders.
    Guy

9. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I turn my large notes sideways, if they're that large. Only one fits per page, but for my collection it's a small percentage that are so big.

Dave

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Thats a good idea, Dave. All I have now are three note pages. Next time I order I'll get single note pages and try them sideways.

11. coinup

coinup Junior Member

12. harmona

harmona New Member

I think BCW pages are made from polypropylene (good), not polyester (best material for paper storage), and their width varies depending on the number of pockets (weird). If you want Mylar (polyester) sleeves as Dave suggested, check this site: http://www.the2buds.com/

They sell lots of different sized mylar sleeves, where "mylar" is, quoting from this web:

"Mylar D® is a Polyester film manufactured by DuPont Corporation. The production of Mylar has actually been discontinued, although the term Mylar is still widely used as the name for any Polyester film. For this reason, we use the term "Mylar" to indicate any Polyester film (Mylar, Melinex, etc.) that is approved by the Library of Congress."

Hope I helped you, and please excuse my English.

13. coinup

coinup Junior Member

thnx
    I'll look in to it - I'm going to order replacements by Friday after more research...

14. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I'm also using BCW pages. I am currently only collecting FRN's but use the 3 sleeve large currency pages. I have these pages in a Supersafe binder.

15. Princemahesh

Princemahesh Member

I am using BCW pages for my collection. Are BCW pages safe for long time storage?

16. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

pictures please. And yes BTW pages are very safe.

17. Princemahesh

Princemahesh Member

Thanks zekeguzz. But these pages are made of Polypropylene. In a forum in coin community, the people are not suggesting these pages for long time storage. They are suggesting Mylar or Mylar-D. I have already invested a lot into my collection and now I am worried about the storage.

18. Princemahesh

Princemahesh Member

Thanks Zekeguzz. My complete coin and paper money collection is in BCW pages. But these pages are made of Polypropylene. I have seen in other forums, that these pages are not safe for long time storage. They are suggesting mylar or mylar-D sleeves.

19. LargeSizeUS

LargeSizeUS New Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. As you can tell from the screen name, I'm a collector of Large Size US notes, and I have the very same problem! I can no longer find sleeves that fit in those "3-per" pages. If you, or anyone, knows some decent brands that will allow this, please share a link!

20. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I wrote BCW and here is there response:
    Hello,

Polypropylene is archival-safe.
    Our pages should pose no threat to your coins at all.

While polyester/mylar is indeed good for long-term storage, I am unaware of a company offering coin pages made of that material.
    Can you point me in their direction?

Thanks for your question,
    BCW Customer Support

I use their products and have complete trust in them.

21. Princemahesh

Princemahesh Member

Thank a lot for your reply. I am going to leave my collection in BCW pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted