Curious

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Scubalou, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Scubalou

Scubalou Well-Known Member

Do you remember that crazy clash I posted several days ago that everyone said was a stain? Well I found another one. Granted much of it is a stain, but how about the section under the memorial columns? I'll just post the reverse of each here, and yes they are both 2002 P's and both from the same bank box, but not the same roll. The first one is the one I just found, the other is the one I previously posted. Oh BTY, I just realized today is April 1st, but this is no joke. 90.jpg Head up.jpg Lou

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Looks like a couple of die cracks to me.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Definitely die cracks, and post mint damage, too.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Might call it a shattered die.

6. Scubalou

O.K, thanks

7. Scubalou

O.K, thanks

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Everything IMO in the pillars is a stain. Now whats happening around the E is a different story.
    upload_2023-4-1_21-16-20.png
    There is a definite die crack ED thru ST of states, and another small one above NI.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All I see is a stain and a couple of die cracks.

Mountain Man likes this.
  10. Scubalou

O.K, thanks

11. Scubalou

I see lots of staining and die cracks. To me it appears to be a clash. How does a stain go beneath the columns? It also appears to be a clash under the E. I find it difficult to believe the staining can be exactly the same under two different coins. IMHO. Thanks: Lou

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Explain the clash. It looks nothing like any design on the obverse And it sure doesn't look anything like a design on the reverse.

13. Scubalou

It looks to me like the back of the neck and top of the vest

14. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Are you sure those are 2 different coins?

Mountain Man likes this.
  15. Scubalou

Yes, they are two different coins. I think you can tell by the difference in the shading around the "T" in cents and how the last two bays in the memorial are a little darker in one of them. If people have doubts, I can get them out of the 2x2's and photograph them together. They must have been struck very close to each other. (I should have done that) Lou

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  16. Collecting Nut

The stain could have been on the planchet or even the metal strip that planchets are cut from. It’s not necessarily a stain to that particular coin. In most cases it is but you have two nearly identical stains on two different coins. I can’t always do it but think out side of the box. :)

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Me too. In looking and thinking of the minting process, I just can't see how two coins would have EXACTLY the same marks, stains, cracks. It would be super rare, in my opinion.
    Anyone else? @Fred Weinberg, @JCro57, @paddyman98, @Paddy54, anyone?

18. Scubalou

Even if you're right about the exact same stains being on two different coin what are the odds they would end up in the same position in the striking chamber? I think you're a bit too far out the box. lol
    I agree it would be super rare. However, what if, what I believe, is a clash was strong where the memorial was struck and towards united but very weak towards one cent. So you would get a clash that - if the staining happened at the same time - would be nearly identical. I'm going to find the first one, I stashed it away with a bunch of other 2x2s. Bty the Obverse is nearly identical on each coin. Here's the pics. Lou Obverse.jpg Obverse.jpg

19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, but this is starting to smell like a three day old fish.

furham likes this.
  20. Scubalou

O.K, thanks: Lou

21. Collecting Nut

In or out of the water? Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted