curious why this went for so much

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by urbanchemist, May 15, 2013.

1. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

I am have been selling off my collection over the last few years. I have gotten down to my extra items and have been putting them up for auction. A few weeks ago I had listed a 2005 P Bison nickel. It was in a PCGS sample slab. I wasn't expecting much from it since more expensive coins hadn't been selling well. At the end of my auctions I was shocked and quite happy. The coin went for over $180. It had 26 bids on it. Did I miss something special about this particular coin. Just curious. :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Call the "800" number and find out...

4. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

I know nothing about pcgs or tpg's in general, which is why I ask. Why is there no grade on the slab? Is that what makes it special?

5. vam78

vam78 Firefighter/Numismatist

It's a sample slab/holder. TPG's produce these to advertise their services.

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

A lot of people collect sample slabs. The coin itself is worth five cents, so I suspect a bidding war over a label ensued. Worked out great for you though.

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Who says packaging has no value?

9. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

yes it sure did. i don't even remember how much i paid for it or even how i got it. i love bidding wars :)

10. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

So, do they just pick a random coin and throw it in a sample slab? Or do choose a specific coin?

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

They choose a specific coin at random. :D

Notice how only the earliest coins have grades?

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I don't think this was the reason.

I "think" it sold for so high because "Bison" followed by the co9in number and phone number are in italics. Neither of the sites I have book marked show one of these samples with italic lettering.

I feel confident that my Bison Sample Slab will gather $5.00 in interest some day.

13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Specific "lots" of coins are used.

Sample Slabs exist with lot's of defferent coin types and each type has its own price ranges.

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

From what I heard from a guy who writes about these and their prices , sometimes there's no rhyme or reason why a slab sells so high or low . Just a case of 2 or 3 people wanting it .

15. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Wow, I read the whole thread and I'm still somewhat mystified ....

16. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

It's a MAJOR error. On a typical coin, Jefferson is on the obverse, and the bison is on the reverse. On your coin that is reversed. This coin was struck upside-down. Someone got a huge bargain at only $180 :devil:

17. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Oh wow... I think I've seen that error before somewhere...

18. Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason. I had this type of thing happen to me when I sold my N-Scale trains on Ebay a few years ago. I sold a common Kato Locomotive, I think it was a New Haven RR deisel sitcher for close to $300. It wasn't rare, or special at all. Just 2 people who REALLY wanted it BAD! I didn't ask questions I accepted the payment and smiled LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted