Curious about 1955 D penny with misprint in LIBERTY

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by LCast, Jan 20, 2015.

1. LCast

LCast New Member

I have had this coin stored with other wheat pennies for about the past 30 years. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the misprinted T in LIBERTY. I hope the picture is clear enough to see it. IMG_3612.JPG Thanks so much!

Jdiablo30 and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

If that is real and not altered, you have hit a major score my friend

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, it is impossible for "LIBERYY" to be impressed on either of the master or working dies.

If you look closely, you can see that the top of the "T" was pushed to the left, damaging the coin. Copper is easily moved like this. As a matter of fact, there was another thread posted yesterday about damage to the "I" in LIBERTY.

Chris

5. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

I do not see that metal being "pushed" like you said, maybe its the resolution of the pic, which is pretty good if you ask me, but that looks like a pretty symmetric "Y". I agree the theory sounds possible, but, man, that seems like it wouldnt come out that clean and even....

6. LCast

LCast New Member

My first thought was that it said LIBERYY when I first looked at it, but it looks like it may be the stem of the T pushed to the side. I'll see if I can find someone around here to check it out. Thanks for your replies.

7. cpm9ball

Like I said in my previous post, it is IMPOSSIBLE for "YY" to occur in the die-making process. The master hub would have to transfer this to the master die; the master die would have to transfer this to the working hub; the working hub would have to transfer this to the working die. This "error" would have to have originated at the very beginning of the process. If that were the case, and no one caught the mistake, there would be 563,257,500 of them because that is how many were struck.

It looks like something damaged it by pushing downward from the top and splitting the crossbar. Part of the crossbar went right and some went left.

Chris

tomfiggy, Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I can't think of a way for this to happen in the minting process. Looks like a well placed hit to me.

tomfiggy likes this.
  9. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

There would be a couple thousand other ones from the same die....so since there isn't...obviously it's something post mint. But very cool to look at. Knowledge has a way of crashing the party with cool stuff!

tomfiggy likes this.
  10. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I hope you have a REAL one there,nice find if it is!

11. Neng Vang

Neng Vang New Member

i have one with two y as well

12. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Looks cool but like Chris said it was a very well placed hit, the only way it could come from the mint is there being multiple people involved in making a fake error at the mint. Highly unlikely. Personally though I'd keep it cause it looks cool as heck

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  13. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Looks very cool but a remnant of the top crossbar of the T is there. Amazingly well placed hit but a hit none the less

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hey stoneman. Are you the same stoneman over at ccf?

15. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Doesn't it make a difference if Beng Vang also found a double Y? And is cpm9ball implying that one die was used 563,257,500 times?

tomfiggy likes this.
  16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: 14 posts about some minor damage to a letter! This is a hoot!

Think I may make one this afternoon and also change the "B" to an "8!"

tomfiggy likes this.
  17. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Well, if it really was a double "Y", that would be a worthy of a real hoot. (I'll have to check that out with the boys in the barn.)

tomfiggy and Thorpeuser like this.
  18. cpm9ball

Go back and read my post more carefully. I said that every working die would have to have the "YY".

Neng Vang's first post. Yeah, sure! Let's see the photos.

Chris

tomfiggy likes this.
  19. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Guilty as charged Cascade:happy:

tomfiggy and Cascade like this.
  20. Thorpeuser

Thorpeuser Long time collector

Let us know what the boys in the barn have to say.

tomfiggy likes this.
  21. Thorpeuser

Thorpeuser Long time collector

I have a 1959 with a straight leg image.jpeg on the last 9 in the date that I posted last year that was also dismissed as post mint damage caused by a rolling machine. What do you think? Error or damage?

Draft saved Draft deleted