Cupping? Probably not but cool.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Wingnut6999, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

I found this in change years ago, put it in a 2x2. I decided to research it yesturday. I went to the errors link and looked at their samples. They show very extreme cupping with the rim pulled in. I'm not seeing any major pmd on the reverse to say someone hit it with a punch. George's chin area is the high spot. Pmd or error, I'm keeping it for the cool factor. And yes I did weigh it, 5.6. 20180721_235810.jpg 20180721_235831.jpg 20180721_235906.jpg 20180721_235946.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's all damage. Not a Mint Error.

One Mans Trash likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Exposure to extreme heat would be a cause of that type of damage.

Wingnut6999 likes this.
  5. Wingnut6999

I considered heat but there is no apparent damage to the finish. Still cool to me. But I'm weird like that. Lol

6. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

I am not any kind of mint error expert, but I have done a lot of hand metal work for 30 or so years. If it had been exposure to heat, I would expect discoloration around the lettering and other protected spots, even after a lot of circulation.

If it was don with a hammer or press, I would expect more marks or abrasions. There looks to be a little flattened area on Georges' cheek and jaw line area, but I would need to see more pictures.

Then again, I have no idea how it could have happened at the mint either.

Wingnut6999 likes this.
  7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The damaged area on the eagles legs make me think it is PMD.

SlipperySocks likes this.
  8. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

I see that, but the indentation looks off center. The legs and feet look pretty center.

9. Wingnut6999

I noticed that too, but that would mean the center of George would be the high spot. Well if nothing else, it's a conversation piece. Lol

10. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

One would expect to see some minor to progressive distortion of devices if it were a cupping issue depending on die state. (EDS,LDS) JMO

11. Wingnut6999

I thought of the die because of the softness of liberty and in god. The coin is definitely cupped, but probably not from the mint.

12. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

Yes more than likely PMD but keep what you wish I do! Happy Hunting. ;)

Wingnut6999 likes this.
  13. Wingnut6999

Thanks. I like the odd stuff, especially one like this. May never know what happen to it. Still cool to me.

Newbie69 likes this.
  14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Both photos make your coin look a little elongated. Don't know if it's looks that way in hand or even if that would cause the damage.

15. Wingnut6999

It's not. I put it on top of a new quarter and it's still round.

Draft saved Draft deleted