Cumberland Gap Doubled Die Reported

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Jul 29, 2016.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Actually, several of them. For you roll searchers. And they are cheap on the bay right now. 1 cumberland gap doubled die.jpg 1 cumberland gap doubled die 2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mint rolls or other? Thanks!

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sorry, forgot to mention-Philly.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Mint rolls & bags.

TopcatCoin and Markus1959 like this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Sorry Tommy - that's how my wife describes my body!!

NSP, tommyc03, Garlicus and 2 others like this.
  7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Hello Tommyc03. I have gone through several hundred circulated, the only one I found was at the top of the right shoulder. Wexler agreed it was a double die but it was so small it wasn't worth mentioning Coin #1 is a 2014-P Kentucky Cumberland Gap quarter with doubling that is way too minor to list, which mint has the most doubled dies Philadelphia or Denver ? So far in the Philadelphia mint I have found very few with chips. Which are on my thread.:blackalien:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  8. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Ok, another thing on my list to look for, it'll keep me pouring throughthe mountains of change

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

If you're interested go to my thread on error coins. Kentucky chips on page 5.:blackalien:

10. santy

santy Member

hello tommy i have cumberland gap quarter coin and doubled die the words LIBERTY and QUARTER DOLLAR.can you give me a comments about this coin and if have something worth?thank in advance

11. santy

santy Member

12. santy

santy Member

13. santy

santy Member

if something worth i planning to sell my coin.thanks

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yours appear to be machine doubling which are not doubled die coins. Interesting but not really worth anything.

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Right now they are dirt cheap on ebay. But the word from Ken Potter is to snag some of these now off the bay before they start to go up.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

As long as "Bob, Weezie and Pete" don't complain it's all good.;)

Markus1959 likes this.
  17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Philly has the most doubled dies and die chips, at least from all the searching I have done in past years. It's even hard to find nice die chips from Denver. Sorry to hear John did not give you credit on your minor find, after all, it was a doubled die, regardless of how minor. Just one look at all the Lincoln cent doubled dies from 1998-2006 in the statue bay and how minor a lot of them are.

18. santy

santy Member

thanks alot tommy

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I should also have mentioned that die deterioration is common on Philadelphia coins. They use their dies to the bitter end so you may end up seeing all sorts of variations of this type of machine doubling, which is quite common. Check out John Wexler's site at www.doubleddie.com to see what is going on with any specific coin as far as doubling goes as he is constantly updating as new varieties are being discovered. If it is not there it may be soon, so don't give up the hunt. You may discover a new variety yourself and you can submit yours to him following the directions he gives for submissions. If it is a new variety, as yet unreported, he will also give you credit in updates.

usmc60 likes this.
  20. santy

santy Member

thanks again tommy.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted