Cud on Clad Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by doug444, Jan 28, 2017.

1. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

We have seen some very fine cuds in the past few weeks, and here is the only cud I own. Note that there is a corresponding depression on the reverse of the coin.

Further note that there are minor disturbances in the striking 180 degrees away from the cud, i.e., through the "D" of dollar, and through the "E" and "R" of Liberty

My question is (with regard only to the actual cud) is this normal, or is it a guarantee that the coin has been tampered with, and that what I think is a cud is actually PMD? c101b CUD rev.jpg c101a CUD obv.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, it is a cud. The weakness of the strike on the reverse for the letters, "TES OF AM" is due to metal flowing into the die break.

I'm not sure what may have affected some of the letters in DOLLAR and LIBERTY. By chance, are you confusing this anomaly with that which you usually find 180 degrees across from a clip?

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice CUD!
    Thanks for sharing! :wideyed:

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Dynoking likes this.
  6. doug444

Chris, I'm not exactly confusing it, I just noticed it was there, some minor disturbances. Thanks for your input.

First cud I've ever seen that obliterates the date perfectly...

7. doug444

Thanks, Pickin, I have bookmarked that site and will use it for future reference.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's a terrific example. I'm not surprised to see the strike also affected 180 degrees out, for much the same reason as the Blakesley Effect occurs.

9. paddyman98

The CUD Book has almost 2 pages with P Mint Mark Quarters with ND, No Date specimens.
    I could not match yours with any of them.
    20170128_114322.jpg 20170128_114347.jpg

Attached Files:

10. doug444

Well, I am suddenly motivated to ask - retail value?

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

There's no real way to establish any kind of consistency in pricing for these; too few collectors (as a percentage) consider them worth pursuing, yet those who do are willing to pay a premium. Speaking only for myself, as someone who does find them interesting, I'd probably chase this until the bidding reached $20 or so and be unsurprised if someone wanted it more than that. This is plainly a location of high stress on a Washington obverse, as die cracks and cuds both are pretty common in the location.

The Nickel on the cover of the Thurman/Margolis book? That one would go big. :)

usmc60 and paddyman98 like this.
  12. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Nice find! This motivates me and my girl friend to be more diligent when we CRH. I would have passed this up as PMD. Thanks for sharing. I'll say this again, this site is an endless education. Thanks to all!

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. daparty22

daparty22 New Member

Can anyone tell me what is going on with this coin please. It weighs 5 grams and smaller than a quarter. Could it be a defective planchet? 16403373_1234494896588413_6652176066308964754_o.jpg 16402526_1234494996588403_8492566997384873288_o.jpg 16422360_1234495273255042_1858992843668752980_o.jpg

14. paddyman98

It looks like PMD - Post Mint Damage
    The scratches on both sides is evidence of alteration. And the exposed copper on the edge is caused by an alteration also.
    Not an error

You should create your own unique thread. This thread is about a CUD die break.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  15. daparty22

daparty22 New Member

Thank you paddyman for the information and sorry about posting in wrong spot hun. btw the coin came out of a new paper stand and i thought it was odd looking. Again sorry I'm new and learning

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

No worries, Start a thread about your coins we will be happy to help. Pats on the back don't happen very often here. If you want to learn to be a numismatist. You have to be able to take some constructive criticism.

daparty22 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted