Cud? Lamination?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by zmemarine, May 19, 2022.

1. zmemarine

zmemarine Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Think about it. A cud is a break in the die involving the rim. Therefore the piece would be part of the coin with no peeling or seam. Your coin has a seam.

A lamination happens when part of the struck coin splits. It has a seam like yours. Now, why do I :sour::troll: think it might be something else? The hint is in this paragraph.

halfcent1793 likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It's just some kind of planchet defect in general.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

enamel7 likes this.
  6. Insider

Hint: Insider, posted: "A lamination happens when part of the struck coin splits."

cwart, posted: "Finned rim?"

If that's what it is, what evidence on the coin do you see to base that on?

7. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

The piece in question appears to have folded over the devices of the coin. I don't see part of the E Pluribus Unum being struck through the metal.

8. Insider

cwart, posted: "The piece in question appears to have folded over the devices of the coin. I don't see part of the E Pluribus Unum being struck through the metal.

;) That's exactly what I see but I'm not an expert. I don't know if a tiny part as this qualifies as a "fin." I thought fins were like a thin raised lip on the edge. That is a lot of metal in one spot.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Soon as I saw the picture my thought was finned rim that had folded over.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

A close up of the rim there without the light glare, might show that it is a folded over rim burr

Cheech9712 and Insider like this.
  11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I’m in the rim burr camp. Although I have an unlisted Jefferson cud, if it’s not listed with Cud’s on Coins, it’s likely not a cud.

Cheech9712, expat and Insider like this.
  12. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

IMO that's too much material to be a Finned Rim Foldover; I'm thinking more that it was a Delamination from a previous coin that was still in the Coining Chamber that was Struck-through and Retained.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Insider likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can’t recall seeing a folded rim that leaves the rim intact as it is. A fold would hide the rim where it is folded over correct? It looks like an extra piece of metal to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted