Cud error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Charlie Cliques, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Charlie Cliques

Charlie Cliques Active Member

Is this a cud error? 1974 p kennedy (on his forehead, red arrow 3rd pic)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. a CUD involves the rim and goes into the field. I see a lot of damage on the half dollar so really can't say what you have there.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

5. Charlie Cliques

6. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Are you talking about what might be die breaks/die chips on the front of his forehead?

7. Charlie Cliques

yes, his forehead...is that a die break or chip then?

8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

First, let me say that I am not an expert on anything. Paddy is much, much more knowledgeable about errors such as these than I could ever be.

Maybe Paddy saw it and considers it damage. Maybe Paddy didn't see it. Only Paddy could say.

Now in my very inexperienced opinion, I think those two could be die chips.

Now, to think about die chips. Die chips are very common. You'll find them on a lot of coins, a lot of times. Just keep looking and you'll keep finding them.
    Die chips are so common that, for the most part, they carry NO INCREASE in value with them. For a die chip to have any real value, it would need to be BIG and would need to like cover up part of the design or something else VERY noticeable.
    Nobody really wants something that you have to search for with a magnifying glass just to know it's there.

So, here's your bottom lines :
    1)Those two may or may not be die chips. I think they are.
    2) Even if they are die chips, they are so small and inconsequential, that they have no value....except to you.

My advice : Keep the coin, put it in your oddities box and do "Show and Tell" with your friends. You already own the coin. It will only cost you 50 cents to put it away and use it to amaze and amuse your friends. Keep looking for die chips and cuds. Use the info Paddy gave you and my advice about die chip size and value, to keep searching, keep looking, keep collecting, and keep posting. Sooner or later, you will find something nicer and then replace this coin with a better one.

Remember, whatever you find, we will be here to help you understand it.

Charlie Cliques likes this.
  9. Charlie Cliques

thank you for the info & support. I really appreciate your time & patience :)

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted