Cud and lamination error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MowzerXD, Apr 7, 2019.

1. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

Found these 2 coins while coin roll hunting a while back. Was wondering what people would pay for them. Any collectors out there, what would you pay for them?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@paddyman98 would give a better opinion than I could. I don't collect error coins and that's his specialty.

paddyman98 and spirityoda like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice..
    The CUD on the 1982 is a known and has a reference number.
    I will look for it.
    Value - $15.00 - $20.00

The Lamination on the reverse is really good.
    I say it might even be a Strike Through!
    Value - $10.00 - $15.00

IMHO

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Mernskeeter and paddyman98 like this.
  7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

If @Fred Weinberg wants the 83 cud..... I would like the other coin identified as having a "lamination" or possible "strike through" issue.

@paddyman98 am I seeing another cud on the 1963 coin - on the obverse at about the same position as the cud on the 1983 coin of the OP? Couldn't be the the same die but 20 years earlier, could it? Naahhh, right? Oh just great! Now I need to find out when and how they started adding mint marks to nickels struck in Philadelphia.

I really like this one in case Mr Weinberg doesn't. I get next dibs!! ;)

p.s. In 1942 five cent pieces struck in Philadelphia, to distinguish the change in metal used in the planchette during the war, first received P mint marks. This lasted only until the war was over. Then the "nickels" struck in Philadelphia returned to have the original alloy and no P mint mark. The P mint mark returned to the nickel in 1979.

Oh!! So THAT's why we like 'war nickels.' I always wondered. I thought those were simply made during the war years and maybe that fewer were struck. I didn't even know enough to ask or search more about it.

Thank you @MowzerXD for this thread which made me go see whether a hub that made a die in 1963 could be modified later to add a P mint mark. I think it can be.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

I just double checked the 1963 coin lol. It is a reflection from the 2x2 it's in on the obverse

LaCointessa likes this.
  9. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool cud find! Also a nice second coin. I’m not 100% sure what to make of it, but think lamination is correct. I’ll try to find my only nickel cud.

Draft saved Draft deleted