Cucumbor's six - 2017 review

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cucumbor, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hi CT friends,

As many other members here, I think I'm done for 2017, hence I can start my year review.

Having bought 32 coins only this year, 19 of them being for the Dombes principality, I wouldn't want boring the assembly by showing "variations about the liard" or things of the like.

I've made a selection of six (as I did last year) which have my preference among them, at least today, and for various reasons.

#6 - A cockroach to begin with, precisely because it's a roach (and some of them deserve to be done justice), and because it was a gift from a friend and dealer. The portrait is of the better style.

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, Antoninianus Rome mint, AD 238-239
    IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III seen from behind
    IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre, a small figure of the Emperor at his feet
    5,33 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 105 (3), RIC # 2, RCV # 8614

#5 - A crocodile. They've been quite popular on the boards lately (I know for certain @LaCointessa loves them) and that one stopped me for the incredible style on Agrippa's portrait and its good centering

[​IMG]
    Augustus & Agrippa, AE Dupondius Nemausus mint, after AD 10
    4th type
    IMP DIVI F PP, Laureate heads of Augustus looking right and Agrippa looking left, back to back
    COL NEM, Crocodile chained to palm tree
    13,52 gr
    Ref : RCV #1731, Cohen #8

#4 - A jeton. Not so often do we have the opportunity of showing a jeton here. This one has been issued for Gaston d'Orleans, prince of Dombes AD 1629. At this time the king of France was his brother Louis XIII. All his life Gaston has plotted against him and after his death against his nephew Louis XIV. Anyway, This jeton has been issued to commemorate victory at the battle of "Pas de Suze" against the italians on March, 6th 1629. The reverse depicts an altar that can be seen on many of our ancients, reason why it's today #4

DG-026-F081xx.jpg
    Gaston d'Orleans, prince usufruitier de la Dombes (1627-1650) jeton argent
    + GASTON . DE . FRANCE . FRERE . UNICQVE . DV . ROY Ecu d'Orléans couronné entouré des colliers des ordres du roi
    PONET VICTORIA METAS (Victory will settle the frontiers) Un autel orné de guirlandes, élevé sur un massif montagneux.
    Ag - 4,39 gr - 27 mm
    Ref : Feuardant -

#3 - An eagle. My 21st example of the divi series struck by Trajan Decius was a major buy. Just because of Henry and Steve wasn't it #1 (see below). I've extensively presented it here

[​IMG]
    Augustus, Antoninianus Rome mint AD 250/251
    DIVO AVGVSTO radiate head right
    CONSECRATIO Eagle facing with spred wings and head left
    3.10 gr
    Ref : RIC IV # 77, Cohen # 577, RCV # 9458
    in qblay's catalog : AU27/A045
    Ex Gemini XIII auction, #291

#2 - A chick. Steve has been a very good friend of ours here and the Ancient section of CT owes him a lot. He's facing difficult times and has had to part with quite a lot of his treasures. Some of us are now their caretakers on his behalf. Steve we miss you !

[​IMG]
    Tranquillina, Drachm Cappadocia, Caesarea- Eusebia, AD 241-244
    Tranquillina, Augusta, AR Drachm - Dated Regnal year 4 of Gordian III (AD 240/1)
    CABINIA TPANKVΛΛINA AV Draped bust right, wearing stephane
    MHTPO KAICA B N E Mount Argaeus ЄT Δ (date) in exergue
    2.72 grams - 18 mm
    Ref : Bland, Last # 58, Sydenham, Caesarea Supp # 617a
    Ex CNG e-auction 354, #352
    Ex Steve P. collection

#1 - A denier. Although the denier tournois is abundant for Gaston d'Orleans, there is no regular issue of any of them for his father in law, Henri II de Montpensier, and only a handful of silver essays is known to exist. For years I could only dream of having one of them in my trays someday. I even went to the Lyon Musée des beaux arts, for the only purpose of taking a picture of their specimen. When that one poped up at auction earlier this year, it had to be mine. My enormous bid having been successful, here it is in the end

DG-023-122.jpg
    Henri II de Montpensier (1592-1608 ) essai du denier d'argent, frappe posthume
    + . H . P . DOMBAR . D . MONTISP Buste cuirassé à gauche
    + DNS . ADIVTOR . MEVS . 1609 Deux lis dans une couronne
    1,73 gr - 18 mm
    Ref : Divo Dombes #122

Q

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, terrific coins. I love the Henri II.

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, I like the Gaston d'Orleans & Tranquillina best.

Cucumbor likes this.
  5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I agree with @Orfew, that Henri II is very special.

Cucumbor likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NICE NICE NICE NICE @Cucumbor ! Lovem.

Sometime, I would really enjoy seeing your Dombes collection too.

I like your Croc... the Palm Tree looks VERY different! Very cool...

My Palm:
    upload_2017-12-5_17-8-18.png
    RI Augustus oak crown -Agrippa rostral crown L AE Dupondius 26mm 12.6g 10-14 CE Nemausus chained Croc wreaths RIC I 158

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Nicely done
    I really like that Tranquillina and the G III is nice to boot

Cucumbor likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, Q, I'm glad there are some non-ancients in there, or all six would be my favorite.

The Tranquillina is sweet, the Augustus divi enviable, the croc coin outstanding, and the Gordie one of the best I've ever seen!

Heck, even the Gaston and Henri deserve some love... :D

200w_d.gif

Cucumbor and Curtisimo like this.
  10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Really nice six! But my favorite is the one from Dombes/Henri II real nice portrait:happy: Here is my only coin from Dombes:(
    AV 1/2 Pistole 1575 Trevoux Mint ex: Kunker Auction (preservation 62e2347d6fdb83d6be841ecaef8bc6c2 (1).jpg stempelglanz)
    Louis II de Bourbon Montepensier 1560-82
    Comment: The guy who struck this coin should have been fired! for doing a crappy job/ quality of the strike is very poor.....

TheRed, Mikey Zee, Cucumbor and 8 others like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great divo augusto - want one like that!

Cucumbor and panzerman like this.
  12. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Yes! Yes! @Cucumbor! I love crocs. I certainly do. And yours is a great one. with the entire croc from tip of snout to tip of tail. It is unusual because your palm tree looks like waves of water. I adore @Alegandron's croc, too with that natural sandy patina. Thanks for showing your top six coins of the year.

I am putting together a top 5 list since I'm still such a newbie.

13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Outstanding croc!!! Lovely!

Cucumbor, Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  14. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

#6, the Gordian III, has excellent nice style and a strong strike in good metal from an unworn obverse die and not-much-worn reverse die. That makes it special. There are many Gordian III pieces out there, but not many better than that one.

Cucumbor and Alegandron like this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That Henri II is fantastic!! Congrats on catching such a rarity!

Cucumbor likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This guy is almost as irreverent as me. Thank the Lord he has a good heart and a fair (better than that) sense of humor. I love your ancients my friend. And I love your catalog........

Cucumbor and Curtisimo like this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I dare say, I have to quite agree........:)

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nicely done Q. All winners. My favorites are the croc and the eagle.

I like crocs too!
    IMG_9283.JPG
    IMG_4323.JPG

TheRed, Jwt708, Kasia and 12 others like this.
  19. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

That is so funny @Curtisimo. Who doesn’t enjoy a butterfly (or a dinosaur, even) landing on his or her nose?

Nice croc you have there!

(This photograph is on a greeting card from maybe 20 years ago and it says © AGC, Inc. - Carlton Cards)

91B79923-4155-41F7-9C2D-37F900123C9D.jpeg

TheRed, green18, Mikey Zee and 6 others like this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Sweet @Cucumbor ! That was kind of my my year as well, a mix of Roman and older cool modern stuff...I like your style!

I LOVE that croc!

Here is a 17th century French jeton I own...

100_1139_zpsqgjhy03v.jpg

21. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Great top 6! I'm loving that croc!

Thanks,
    Jacob

Cucumbor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted