Cucumbor's 2021 top list : 9 coins and...a ghost !

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cucumbor, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hi CT friends,

The top 10s season has already started and is already among the best ever !

Even though I didn’t buy a lot of coins, 2021 has been a good year in terms of new acquisitions. Some of them that make the top 10 were purchased from Leu web auction # 14 on december 12th, 2020, but since I received them in january, they actually belong to 2021 additions.

They’re listed in no particular order, other than my inspiration to tell why I got them. The OP shows the three medieval and french royal in the selection, followed shortly thereafter by the ancient ones : enjoy !

Dombes, Anne Marie Louise d’Orleans - demi ecu 1665

As I have lenghtly explained in this thread the short series (5 coins only) of demi écu minted for « La Grande Mademoiselle » is a most tough one to put together. Finding in my lifetime the sole 1665 example in private hands was beyond expectation. The only known other example is at the Bibliothèque nationale de France (BnF). Either it was under the radars of other collectors, or not nice enough to their taste, I got it at 30% of my potential maximum bid. All in all, that makes it # 1 by a mile

DG-027-221.jpg
    Anne Marie Louise d'Orleans (1650-1693), Demi ecu– 1665
    Atelier de Trevoux
    AN .M .LVD .PRINC .SVPRE . DOMBA, Buste drapé de 3/4 a droite
    (rose) DNS (trefle) ADIVTOR (rose) A (rose) ET . RED .MEVS . 1665 Ecu d'Orleans couronné
    13.44 gr
    Ref : Divo Dombes # 221 (le deuxième exemplaire connu), PA # 5219v,
    Ex collection Christian Charlet

Dombes, Louis II de Montpensier - denier tournois 1581

At the other end of the spectrum is this very modest denier tournois. It’s been minted for another prince of Dombes, Louis II de Montpensier, Anne Marie Louise’s ancestor. Although his silver and billon coinage are easy to find (I would rate them as scarce to the most), the smallest denominations (i.e. doubles tournois and denier tournois) are rather rare. This one isn’t spectacular by any means, short flan, struck off center, poor style, showing encrustations, but I’ve only encountered a handful in my life. I’m considering having it professionally cleaned to enhance its attractiveness.

DG-021-061_v.jpg
    Louis II de Montpensier (1560-1582), Denier tournois type 2 - 1581
    Atelier de Trevoux
    + L .D .B[OVRB . P .D] . DOMB[ES], Buste cuirassé a gauche
    + DENIE .TOVRNOIS . 1581. Deux fleurs de lis avec brisure
    1,18 gr - 17 mm
    Ref : Divo Dombes # 61v, CGKL # 718

France, Jean II le Bon - florin d’or

This is one beautiful coin. It would have been #1 without the demi ecu pulling it down. Since I have very hard time now finding Dombes coins still missing from my collection, I started lurking around for a new sub collection, and thought building a denominations set of nice specimens for one specific ruler might be fun. Jean II le Bon as been chosen, mainly because the first french coin called « franc » was minted under his rule, 1360 CE, to have him freed after he had been captured by the Britts. Other than that his coinage offers a variety of silver and billon emissions, rather hard to find in good condition which is quite challenging. To finish with, finding a XIXth century « Histoire monétaire de Jean le Bon, Roi de France » by De Saulcy got me hooked on that reign.

P1330912s.JPG

P1330914s.JPG

This florin, imitating that of Florence, Italy, the famous major currency of that time, is a rare denomitation for Jean II le Bon.

362-florin-b.jpg
    Jean II le bon (1350 - 1364) - Florin d'or - 1358 (Montpellier)
    + FRA• - •NTIA• Grande fleur de lis épanouie.
    S•IOHA - NNES•B•(heaume)• Saint Jean-Baptiste debout de face, nimbé, vêtu d'une peau de mouton, tenant un sceptre cruciforme de la main gauche et bénissant de la main droite.
    20 mm - 3,47 gr
    Ref : Ciani # 362, Dy # 346

To be continued

Q

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

What an intriguing posting! It's always fascinating to learn the stories behind the acquisition of a coin. And love that you included the book. I looking forward to the continuation of your post.

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

... continuing

Ptolemaic kings of Egypt, Ptolemy II Philadelphos - Obol

Last february, in the round # 1 of the famous « Guess the CTer » contest that @Curtisimo gifted us with, I wrote about the coin : I don't often add greek coins to my collection, apart (with just one p that time, tagging @Claudius_Gothicus ;)) from the occasionnal bronze and the very rare silver, but when I saw this portrait of Alexander III wearing elephant skin, I immediately knew I had to have it. It's not a thoughtful purchase, i.e. the coin that would be part of a project, but really a kind of "that coin talks to me, listen !" buy. Even though I had to throw in much more than the average coin of this type would cost, I think it's worth every penny, due to the exquisite engraving, preservation and patina. A real gem in hand.

Almost one year later I would write exactly the same thing and never regreted its purchase

Egyp_0005b.jpg
    Ptolemy II Philadelphos : Obol (Bronze), Alexandria, circa 260s-246 BC.
    Diademed head of the deified Alexander III to right, wearing elephant skin headdress and aegis around his neck, and with horn of Ammon on his forehead.
    ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ Eagle with open wings standing left on thunderbolt;between the eagle's legs, Λ.
    24 mm, 10.43 g, 1 h
    Ref : Lorber B250

Bosporan kings, Rhescuporis II with Caracalla – El Stater.

In my specialized field I'am able to discipline myself on buying specific coins, because I don’t have the type/year, or it is an upgrade, or whatsoever excuse to adding one more to the series. In numerous occasions however I can’t resist the coin screaming « buy meeee ! » even though out of my league. Last year, a Sauromates II with Septimius Severus stater made my # 1 of the year. Since I was « at it », and adding a second one seeming sensible to some point, I got the following one electrum stater. Call me crazy, hope I’m not starting a new collection though :D

0190-450b.jpg
    Bosporan kingdom – El stater, dated 513 (216-217 CE)
    BACIΛΕωC ΡHCKOΥΠOΡIΔOC (anticlockwise). Draped and diademed bust of Rhescuporis II right, before, trident.
    Laureate and draped bust of Caracalla right. ΓΙΦ at exergue (year 513)
    7,63 gr – 18 mm
    Ref : MacDonald # 556/3

Syria, Antioch, Herennius Etruscus as Caesar, 249-251 - Tetradrachm.

Pursuing my quest for nice specimens of Syro-Phoenician tetradrachms ( :) @Al Kowsky ), among others I got that particularily nicely struck Herennius Etruscus tetradrachm. It ticks several boxes : Trajan Decius and his family on the one hand, and syro-phoenician tets on the other hand

0370-410-0640-2b.jpg
    Herennius Etruscus, Cesar (249-251) - Tetradrachme de billon de l'atelier d'Antioche, 247 - 7° officine
    ЄPЄNN ЄTPOY MЄ KY ΔЄKIOC KЄCAP Buste drapé à droite vu par l'arriere. Z sous le buste
    ΔHMAPX ЄΞOYCIAC Aigle à gauche, les ailes déployées, tenant une couronne dans son bec et une palme dans ses serres. A l'exergue SC
    28 mm, 10.24 g, 7 h
    Ref : Prieur # 640, McAlee # 1153g.

Nemausus, Augustus & Agrippa, halved dupondii type II, II & IV

Everybody agrees, Crocs are fun !

The more the funnier. But finding those in good condition is tough and pricey. An option, although a bit frustrating, is to find nice examples of them cut in half !
    With a bit of research nice examples can be found at reasonnable price. Here’s a virtual tray showing three different portraits of Agrippa on three different half dupondii of three different types (according to the usual french classification in four types, which is disputed) : type II, III and IV. The type IV isn’t a 2021 purchase, but the two others are. One can see the evolution of Agrippa’s appearence from a young, slim and eager young lad to a more mature and wise man.

0030-406-8-12.jpg
    RPC # 523, 524 and 525

Gordian III, Aeternitas denarius

Not only AMCC auctions have very nice offerings, but many have cool provenances. This one is no exception, being ex @Severus Alexander (the Boss) himself !

The lot description says it all : « It is difficult to find high grade, well struck denarii of Gordian III from fresh dies; this coin is worthy of the best collections », I am thus honoured to be its new caretaker for the years to come

0300-8672_2b.jpg
    Rome mint, 4th emission, AD 12-239/05-243
    IMP GORDIANS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate and draped bust right
    AETERNITATI AVG, Sol, radiate and draped over left shoulder and arm, standing facing, head left, raising right hand and holding globe in left.
    2,76 gr - 20,5 mm
    Ref : RSC # 39, RCV # 8672, RIC # 111, Michaux # 275

Provenance : AMCC3 auction # 253. From the Severus Alexander collection; ex Frank Robinson Auction Sept. 2020 (from Frank’s collection), hammer 101 USD; ex Künker Auction 333 lot 1249, “from the collection of a Hanseatic Roman friend.”

During the same auction, I’ve been lucky enough to snap two others GIII antoninianii, one of them being the « brother ant » to the denarius above

0300-8603b.jpg
    Rome mint, 4th emission, AD 12-239/05-243
    IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right seen from behind
    AETERNITATI AVG, Sol, radiate and draped over left shoulder and arm, standing facing, head left, raising right hand and holding globe in left.
    5,71 gr - 23,5 mm
    Ref : RSC # 41, RCV # 8603, RIC # 83, Michaux # 369
    Provenance : AMCC3 auction # 254. Ex DNW “Roman Coins from the Collection of Keith Cullum, Part 1” 05.06.2019 lot 1345, acquired by Cullum from John Cummings in 1993. (Cullum was chairman of the Essex Numismatic Society.)

Gallienus Zoo series left portrait and panther

Another niche of mine being the Gallienus Zoo series, I was thrilled when the last Paul-Francis Jacquier yearly auction popped up with a run of interesting, some very rare, specimens of the series. Although I put high bids (well, high to me and to what I though they would fetch), I was largely out bid on all of them but one. Still, I’m satisfied with this ,ugly, but left portrait with the panther reverse

0440-210-Gz-19g+2-2000.jpg
    Gallienus, Zoo series antoninianus - Rome, AD 267-268.
    GALLIENVS AVG. Radiate and draped bust left
    LIBERO•P•CONS AVG/B. Panther advancing left
    2,23 g.
    Ref : Wolkow, CMR Gallien # 19g+2 (R3); C 588; RIC 230; Cunetio –; MIR 713o.

And to finish with A ghost !

This is the coin I purchased from Agora auction last july. It should be in my top 10, as it’s a very rare coin, reportedly known by 4 examples only, this one being illustrated in Wildwinds

I'm afraid it will remain a mystery to you folks !! :D

Q

eparch, Orielensis, Sulla80 and 40 others like this.
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

My favorite is the cat.

Cucumbor likes this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Some great coins Q, but I have to agree with your summery of Ptolemy II, Bearing Alexander portrait, it speaks to me as well and it says absolutely fantastic coin. Congrats on a good year besides the ghost.

Cucumbor likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

IMG_0714.JPG

8. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice additions, @Cucumbor. :)
    Your Ptolemy II obol is my favorite. Like the portrait.

Cucumbor likes this.
  9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Q, You had an outstanding year :happy:! Of course my favorite is the Herrenius Etruscus Tet :D. Your example is the finest one I've seen & far superior to the examples illustrated by McAlee or Prieur ;). Luckily your example is a superb strike, well centered on a large flan, & struck from fresh dies. They don't get any better than this coin :smuggrin:. My 2nd favorite is the handsome Ptolemy II obol, & 3rd place goes to the stunning French Florin d'or :cool:. I scored an acceptable Tet of Herrenius Etruscus a little over 2 years ago for $192.00, pictured below :joyful:.

NGC 5746814-014 Al Kowsky Collection.jpg

10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I love ALL of these wonderful coins Q! My three favorites are;
    • Ptolemy II obol - Such a great style coin!
    • Bosporos EL stater - One of these is on my list eventually. Great example!
    • Jean II florin - Beautiful coin!
    I also really like you half-gators and enjoyed the write up immensely. It’s so interesting that these were so often halved.
    BD2BEDD2-348F-428F-99F3-47F65046383A.jpeg

My least favorite on the list is...
    CE47B518-2C31-4578-B81C-1966E0BDE3A6.jpeg
    ...that situation you are in with this one is unacceptable. Did you ever get your refund (or a call)?

11. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

A nice group @Cucumbor , hard for me to pick a favorite but if forced to do so, I'd go with the Bosporus stater. I've long considered the coinage of the independent Bosporus a neat "non-classical" or "borders of classical" coinage, and have to actively force myself from getting sidetracked into collecting them.

Cucumbor likes this.
  12. singig

singig Well-Known Member

The winner for me is the Ptolemy II Obol. Congratulations !

13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Sensational year my man:cigar:
    But are we ever gonna see this, now, mythical "ghost coin???
    the-git-whats-in-the-box.gif

Some coins of yours that I like most... because I have the type:happy:
    IMG_0244(1).PNG IMG_0441.PNG

20211202_191841.jpg 20211202_191925.jpg
    Screenshot_20200919-170238_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

great year; my favorites are the elephant headress obol, the Florin and the Bosporan El Stater. How does great year; my favorites are the elephant headress obol, the Florin and the Bosporan El Stater. How does ΓΙΦ translate into 513?

Cucumbor and panzerman like this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

An eclectic and interesting mix, @Cucumbor! I like the left-facing Gallienus panther because it's an uncommon bust variety. I also like your Nemausus dupondii; crocs are indeed fun! And who could resist such a hefty hunk o' history as that big Ptolemaic bronze with the elephant-headdress-wearing Alexander? Beautiful!!!

Cucumbor likes this.
  16. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Really nice coins @Cucumbor! Nice to see an EL stater again this year! Lovely example. That Florin d'or is great as well, looks like quality gold.

Cucumbor likes this.
  17. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice examples, I like Herennius tetradrachm and Gordian denarius.

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sorry about your ghost problem!

As for the ones here in the flesh, er... metal:

I love the Ptolemy, of course. Fantastic example of the type :). Ditto for the Bosporan Caracalla.

Despite that it isn't ancient, my favorite is the Anne Marie Louise d’Orleans demi ecu, because of the great story :).

Cheers, dear Q! May 2022 bring more time with good coins and good friends.

19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Some very rare coins Q!

I love the Jean le Bon AV Florin d'or ND/ and the dated Bosphoran EL Stater. The Dombes examples are exceptional.:D I wish you success on the upcoming auction. I am still leading on my two targets.
    John

Cucumbor likes this.
  20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins! My favorites: the Ptolemy II Obol, the Bosporan stater (a type that was completely unfamiliar to me), and the Gordian III with Sol on the reverse. Plus I wouldn't mind having that florin from Jean II le Bon!

21. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Awesome coins - all of them. Voting for only three: the Florin Jean II le Bon, the extraordinary Ptolemy II Philadelphos, and the Rhescuporis II - Caracalla.
    Wishing you a wonderful and successful 2022 :happy:

Cucumbor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted