Cucumbor's 2020 Secret Saturnalia review : another and unexpected top 5 ⅛

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cucumbor, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hi CT folks.

What I got in the mail from my Secret Saturnalia is so amazing it deserves its own thread, not just an update in the general SS thread !!!

The start was difficult as I hadn't seen anything coming on Dec. 17th, which was somewhat worrisome. After a PM to @Curtisimo it appeared my secret Saturn had had their parcel dropped at the post office a month before, which was somewhat even more worrisome...

No way we could keep Secret Saturn secret, @AnYangMan PMed me so we could update each other, should one or the other have informations. On the 19th, he was able to tell me his sending would be delivered the same day.

Geeee, that's good news !

But (there's always a but), I was in Paris at this time for a couple of days, with the parcel waiting for me in the mail box !!

Finally, when I came back yesterday, I found it, opened it, and, well, I'm now speechless. I really don't have enough words to describe the thoughtfullness of the letter accompaigning the coins (yes, the coins with an S, there was not 1 coin, but no less than 6 ; well 5 and ⅛th actually, but that counts for 6), the coins themselves and the story behind them. My no more Secret Saturn must have scrolled down hundreds of my posts to know so well what I collect, what I like...and what I might like.

Here they are :

1 - Usually, pedigreed coins are the rare and/or prestigious ones. Never have I encountered an obscure, modest and plebeian coin with a provenance going back as far as 1849 (at least) !
    It's a Tetricus II antoninianus with its original holder, from the Netherlands National collections, stating it has been in the "old cabinet" (i.e. pre 1849, when the two main collections merged) since.

0455-311b.jpg

01-Tetricus-ticket-1.jpg

01-Tetricus-ticket-2.jpg

2 - That would have made my day, and fulfilled my expectations, but there was also a very early Roman Republic semuncia, with a wonderful green patina that I failed to picture correctly so it would do the coin justice :

02-Semuncia.jpg

3 - Then was an antoninianus minted for an Emperor the CT members cherish : the world famous NSIIITIIII !

03-NSIIITIIII.jpg

4 - One pedigreed coin is not a lot, one needs at least two ! The #4 coin is a sicilian byzantine follis from Constans II, coming from no less than the Rodolfo Spahr collection, with its original tag, featuring a pencil rubbing of the coin. The reverse of the tag is somewhat precise on the date of purchase : November 1932

04-Byzantine.jpg
    04-Byzantine-tagA.jpg
    04-Byzantine-tagR.jpg
    5 - Because he collects them, @AnYangMan had the wonderful idea of gifting me with a chinese coin. I have to confess knowing zilch to those, but the Ban Liang I got has a nice patina and deserves further investigation. A display tray with various coins of different origins, I mean other than just the western world I'm used to, could be an option I have to think about....

05-BangLiang.jpg

6 - And to finish with, a little piece of silver, an ⅛ of something unidentifiable, most probably some sort of Hacksilver, a very moving testimony of troubled times.

06-HackSilver.jpg

I couldn't dream of better presents for Saturnalia. It's very moving to drive so much attention from someone I've never met in real life !
    I'm proud to be part of such a generous and thoughtful community

Merry Xmas to you all, a most happy new year, hopefully better than 2020. Take care of yourselves and those you care for. Stay safe

Thank you from the deepest of my heart @AnYangMan

Io Saturnalia !!!

Q

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow! Old school provenance!

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

That first coin and provenance are mind-blowing. Awesome gift.

lordmarcovan and Cucumbor like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, cool, eclectic, and my style of collecting! Ver nice 2020, Cuke. Really likem!

Cucumbor likes this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::woot::woot::woot:
    Hard not to LOVE the Roman republic's bronzes:singing:
    And that green patina makes me jelly :troll:
    But having a provenance back to Nov 1932 easily outdates any of my provenances... by a LOT.
    Led alone one from less than a quarter century from the death of Napoleon!!!:cigar::pompous:
    Couldn't have happened to a more deserving ancients collector:)
    I too recieved, among many splendid things, what I believe is hacksilber (I like writing it and pronouncing it with the B:shame: makes me feel like a barbarian:jimlad:).
    Here's the gift my gracious Saturn @bcuda gifted me:
    Screenshot_20201217-122403_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

galba68, AnYangMan, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  7. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Wow, how cool is that?? The old holder for the Tetricus is amazing! I love number 3 as well. Great gifts!

Cucumbor likes this.
  8. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Wow. Exceedingly nice stuff.

I begin to feel guilty with what I sent. I didn't realize people were so generous.

Minor addition. Your #3 is not an antoninainus. It is a "barbaric copy" or imitation of a VLPP (Victoria Late Princ Perp) cententionalis of circa 318-320.

SC

Cucumbor likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yes, CT members can be very generous and not only during Saturnalia celebrations. However, there is no need for anyone feeling guilty for what they have sent. There is no monetary minimum or maximum, so it is up to the member to decide not only what to send, but how much they can afford. Besides, it's the thought that counts. I try to research so I can send something I believe my recipient collects, but that is just me. I'm sure your SS partner is happy with whatever you sent. So.....Io Saturnalia and Merry Christmas to all.

10. Cucumbor

Ditto !
    My thoughts exactly.

Q

Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  11. Cucumbor

Yes, thank you. I had the intuition NSIIITIIII couldn't be the name of an actual emperor !!!

;) Q

Theodosius likes this.
  12. otlichnik

The type was Constantine's, though struck for others as well.

The barbaric legends like that are great.

All hail NSIIITIIII the First!.

SC

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These are truly wonderful coins @Cucumbor . You’re the quite the considerate Saturn @AnYangMan .

I especially love the old prestigious provenances. That holder for the Tetricus II in particular is fantastic. The calligraphy on it is beautiful. That is something you don’t see often in modern handwritten documents. The only person I know who can write that beautifully is @jamesicus .

I also have a soft spot for moderate coins with good provenances. Here are a few of mine.

BF1B5301-1C34-4BD3-9F81-69093877D596.jpeg
    Ex Otto Helbing Nachf. 86 (Nov. 25, 1942); Ex Gorney & Mosch Auction 241, lot 3068 (Oct. 12, 2016); Ex arnoldoe Collection
    6103545F-3EF4-4953-8D15-953F2E9C9C2D.png

18024290-B98C-4CDF-8687-07B89545C21A.jpeg
    Ex arnoldoe Collection, Ex Otto Helbing Nachfolger 86, Lot 1585 (Nov. 25, 1942)
    B0425439-5900-4577-AF2C-2A91C3A9940B.png

450709C4-0616-45B8-9410-DEF6BD3CB40B.jpeg
    Ex David Kallai (ca. 1908-1924); Ex AMCC 2, lot 194 (Nov. 9, 2019)
    85CA5FB6-00C2-4DC8-823F-F9743F867D15.png

This thread also makes me wonder... could NSIIITIIII possibly be any relation to the great Isiusiisiuisii?

Merry Christmas all!!!

14. Cucumbor

I've been told (from a reliable source) they were cousins. But also brothers and one the other's uncle, hence some weird looking, quite well captured by the skilled scalptors of their time :D

Q

AnYangMan and Curtisimo like this.
  15. otlichnik

I believe that they were sons of EIEIO.

A farmer who started his own dynasty...

SC

16. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

After a busy holiday season and a few weeks since Saturnalia, I just wanted to say that I am glad they are appreciated and that my stalking... uh... my research paid off! The semuncia is indeed rather impossible to photograph properly; I too tried and tried, but it is just not very photogenic, given how neat it looks in hand. And I just love the archaic and, well, accurate description on the kabinet-holder. ‘Klein brons’ translates to ‘small bronze’ and I think that is just perfect.

And as @Ryro said, I think you, with more than 5000 messages and almost 30.000 likes are a real pillar of the ancients section and if anyone deserves a couple of neat gifts after last year….

I also wanted to echo the things said by @Bing and @Cucumbor; it is the thought behind Saturnalia that count, no need to feel guilty for anything! All things with effort put in are appreciated massively. I just really wanted to copy @Cucumbor’s signature tradition of posting a top 6 (often minus a little bit for a cut or halved coin) in 6 little Saturnalia gifts.

Oh, and I think someone should make a family tree for the great Isiusiisiuisii at this point ;)

Curtisimo and Cucumbor like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow! Wow wow wow, @AnYangMan! What an incredible Saturnalia package and generous gift! That Tetricus with cool pedigree and even more cool holder is fantastic!

Cucumbor and Deacon Ray like this.
  18. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great to see you posting @TIF ! :singing:

I should talk after being AWOL for most of the year.

Cucumbor and TIF like this.
  19. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great post, @Cucumbor !

Cucumbor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted