Cubans

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Someone at eBay is really looking out for Cuban coins lately. I had three listings taken down. Normally eBay is full of Cuban listings. I haven't looked around but they're definitely finding mine.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I find their policy on this very strange, considering it's perfectly legal to buy and sell coins dating from before the embargo. And especially so considering various coins were minted right here in the US.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Hiddendragon

I know. My theory is it's just easier for them to ban everything than try to decide what's OK and what isn't. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. It's just easier to make a blanket policy.

mackat likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

many use the Island of the caribbean listing, peso, centavos, and other ways to get away with it.

serafino and mackat like this.
  6. Hiddendragon

My listings just said the year and denomination. Usually it works but like I said, someone is looking closely it seems.

mackat likes this.
  7. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

I'm done trying to sell Cuban coins on E-Bay, I have a big collection and few months back I tried getting rid of some and they just kept getting taken down. E-Bay needs to learn it's not illegal to sell product produced/sold before the embargo.

mackat likes this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

And the sad thing is that it is not illegal to own them or sell them. I have plenty of pre-embargo Cuban currency, and tons of post-embargo. I'm just hanging on to it for now until that nonsense goes away.

mackat and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Yeah, I bought these to resell because Cuban stuff sells pretty well if you can slip it by. It's frustrating.

mackat and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  10. BlackBeard_Thatch

I love Cuban coins because of the Designs and the history of the country itself and as an colony. These coins are highly collectible but hard to sell because of the history and the embargo laws which when companies don't understand them and they fear legal fines they just don't like dealing with them at all.

Hiddendragon and mackat like this.
  11. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Have you thought of listing some of your Cuban coins here for us ?

mackat likes this.
  12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Just some low life that gets pleasure from having your listings removed, because they can. Take solace in the fact that it's just a miserable, petty person that is unable to enjoy life in other ways. Really I feel more pity for people like that than anything else :)

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Just another message from the current regime . As these policies have been put into place off and on, just to posture their power . After all how many products do you see not only on e bay but in every day life that are made in Vietnam ? Enough already move on.....
    Sad to see a policy with the same mentalities of a 5 year old brat not getting their way on a play ground!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    mackat, serafino and Hiddendragon like this.
  14. Sallent

Well folks, I may as well say it. If you can't get the coins on eBay, go to Cuba and get them. I got a ticket and fly out on the 24rth, I'll be back on August 1. Perfect time to collect some of the convertible peso coinage I get in change, as well as any regular coins I can get my hands on.

I already have tons of pre-embargo bills and post embargo bills, but few coins. Being of Cuba origin here (left Cuba when I was a little kid two and a half decades ago)I find the embargo absurd when we trade openly with Saudi Arabia, Quatar, China, Vietnam, etc. But what can we do, it is what it is.

Anyway, I'm not going so much for the coins (I do want to see where I came from, etc.) but any coins that land in my hands will be a beautiful side reward to the trip...a bonus.

mackat, serafino and Hiddendragon like this.
  15. Hiddendragon

That would be an interesting trip. I wonder if you'd be allowed to bring coins back? You do have to go through customs and I know there's still limits on what you can bring with you.

16. serafino

I was bidding on a CXban
    Enjoy your vacation and let us know if there's much of a coin collecting hobby in Cuba

17. serafino

Special interest lobbies have a tremendous influence on what our Government does in regards to Cuba and other countries.

Paddy54 and mackat like this.
  18. Sallent

I've had relatives go to Cuba and have had no problem bringing back some Cuban pocket change and a few Cuba bills. After all, it's their money, and just because they couldn't spend it all, it doesn't give US customs any right to seize it. I'd imagine it might be different if you got caught with a roll of 100 or 200 Cuban coins, but I don't think 10 or 15 coins and a few bills would be much of a problem.

Speaking of coins, I got a few convertible peso coins from a relative today who recently made the trip. Mostly 5 cent, and a 25 cents. If there really is interest in that stuff feel free to PM me and I can take pictures and arrive at a very reasonable price. After all, I'm getting more in a few weeks when I'm there.

19. BlackBeard_Thatch

I wonder if numismatics has caught on in Cuba as a hobby....

20. Sallent

Here is what I have. My relative gave me a few notes but I'm saving that for the trip. Look how crude the convertible coins are.

IMG_1386.JPG IMG_1387.JPG

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. serafino

What I like are the Cuban pre-1920 silver coins, 10 centavos up to the crown sized Peso. On those coins they would put down the weight of the coin in grams and also the silver content .900

Draft saved Draft deleted