Cuban coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Anyone bumming because we can't sell pre-embargo Cuban coins? I read somewhere that coins minted pre-embargo can be sold. I have a few 1915's and 20's I would like to move. Any sites out there who allow listing them?
    Additionally, anyone up to speed on the embargo as it relates to this subject? DSC04861 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You’re allowed to sell them just not on eBay or through PayPal whose chosen to just have a blanket ban of everything. Great collections will sell them if they’re graded, coins stores/shows will buy them which obviously isn’t an option right now.

what you’re not allowed to do if import them

4. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I will say this: a few sellers have managed to circumvent the prohibition by listing their coins as Islacuba (one word) or as Caribe. Worth a try?

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Imagine eBay passing on $$$$. What's next, actually siding with the seller? I've read stories but have yet to have an issue.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I have a similar problem with some postal stationery.
    I you use the name "Cuba" on eBay in your listing(s) they will be removed.
    If you insist and try again YOU will be removed.

And my problem is that the items are NOT Cuban.
    They are US postal cards overprinted "Cuba" for use by US personnel in Cuba right after we took it from Spain in the Spanish-American War in 1898!

7. baseball21

Wouldn’t recommend it. There’s plenty of stories of PayPal accounts getting locked/banned if they figure it out

8. Robert Ransom

Don't think I will try it, they already nailed me once, so "once burned...":rage:

9. Robert Ransom

I used 'Caribbean coin' and two hours before the auction ended, the listing disappeared. I received their canned response with the implied 'don't do it again'.

10. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I can attest to this personally. When I bought a Dansco Cuba type album of off eBay last year, it was listed as Caribe Type. You could list your coins under that name. However, I personally wouldn't sell them on eBay as you'd likely get less than you'd after accounting for fees and category placement.

Edit: I should've mentioned that I bought the album right after it was listed. After reading some of your responses, I'm surprised eBay didn't cancel my order.

11. Robert Ransom

You must be Irish with that kind of luck. I perodically search eBay for variations of the listing. One minute they are there, then whoosh, "gone in 60 seconds."

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't believe there is any restriction on importing pre castro cuban coins, as long as you are trying to import them FROM Cuba.

13. baseball21

I think you're right about there being no restrictions on the pre castro stuff, obviously everyone should check themselves or with a lawyer before deciding to import a whole bunch though to be safe

14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I bought a few 19th century Cuban banknktes under the title “banco de espanol 5 pesos” of whatever.

I’ve also seen them described as “Spanish island” or something like that

Draft saved Draft deleted