Cuba Cinco Centavos

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John Burgess, Aug 10, 2020.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Well, I've bee roll hunting in South Florida for decades, I was doing some organizing of my collection and I came across a old container of foreigns that turned up in rolls here, it's probably from the 1990s. This was there plus a lot of other stuff from other countries some dating back to the 1950s. This is the only Cuba coin I've ever seen and thinking maybe there are others that have never seen one, so thought I'd share.

1972 Cuba Cinco Centavos (5 cents)
    0.05 CUP = 0.0019 USD
    Aluminium (aluminium 97.15%, magnesium 2.5%, manganese 0.35%)
    Weight 1.5 g
    Diameter 21.21 mm
    Thickness 1.81 mm
    obverse/reverse Alignment "coin flip"
    Minted At: Kremnica Slovakia
    Mintage: 100,000,000

IMG_2020-08-10_09-10-17_1597065429594.jpg IMG_2020-08-10_09-10-50_1597065429273.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've put a set of Cuban coins together from searching through world coin bins. I also love aluminium coins.
    Thanks for sharing :)

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've had plenty of Cubans from 1916 on up as a result of bulk lot hunting, where the odds are better than from US circulation roll hunting, obviously. They're nice, despite the relative sameness of the designs.

Aluminum coins, previously maligned as cheap "junk", are perhaps coming into their own now, and I'm glad to see it. It's a decent metal for coinage (much better than zinc and iron, for sure) and it looks quite nice when bright and lustrous. And the light weight is fun. I've seen a lot of AU-UNC aluminum from places like Italy and the French colonies that had beautiful designs and held up well in circulation, still looking very nice when I found them 50 years later in a bulk bag.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I acquired a 1916 and 1961 un centavo from my mom's hand-me-down foreign coins. Exact same design 45 years later. LOL

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it :p

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

My dad gave me several Cuba coins but all are before Castro.

8. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Very nice one! Much better than mine!

Draft saved Draft deleted