Cuba, 1915 Silver (20) Veinte Centavos Coin. Grade/Value?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Robert Ransom, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

This 1915 20 centavos coin has coarse reeding and is low relief. Seeking grade and value opinions. DSC02823 (2).JPG DSC02830 (2).JPG DSC02907 (2).JPG

raingoat, Seattlite86 and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Maybe $10

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

well according to my 2019 World Coin catalog it says... KM#13.2 .900 silver, mintage-7,915,150.

grade/value

F12-$5.00 VF20-$6.00 XF40-$10.00 MS-60-$25.00 MS-63-$150.00

wait for other opinions...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Honestly, I would be looking to buy that coin at a dollar or two over melt, but I consider my world coin collection relatively extensive and believe that type coin to be pretty available. Edit: not intended as an offer, just saying what I would pay if I were looking, which I am not.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Robert Ransom

What if it were a high relief?

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Ha.. I have received so many Private messages over the years of members asking me if I meant that I wanted to buy the coin they were showing.. I'm sure the same has happened to you. :sour: crazy.

8. Seattlite86

I can't recall the last time that happened; I just wanted to clarify my comment as it might've come across as an offer.

@Robert Ransom if it were a high relief, I would probably feel the same way. Not many collectors care about varieties of a specific year for world coins. I personally like to collect them all, but wouldn't pay extra for it. If the collector sp ee's officially collected Cuban coins, and it was MS, I think that would be a different story.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Robert Ransom

Actually, the answer is no. You have so many posts it was bound to happen to you. Some people interpret what they read to what they want to believe. The whole point of my thread was straight forward, to ask opinions of grade and value. I got 1 value - $10.
    :confused:

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Robert Ransom

Considering the 'enormous' response to my thread, 1 valuation, :) my conclusion is there appears to be few collectors of Cuban coins with much or extensive knowledge of this particular one. Interpretation of the high/low star relief is an issue, so much so, a new classification, 'mid' is being considered, or at least discussed. :)
    Anyone interested in grading info... 'AllCuban Coins.com'

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

The high relief with course reeding is way more valuable.
    The high relief with Fine reeding is cheaper in lower grades.

12. Robert Ransom

I'm unclear how this response answers the questions originally posed.

13. raingoat

raingoat New Member

I don't have a guess on valuation, but I do like these Cuban pieces. I am mostly interested in larger denominations and have a Peso denomination from this year.

14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

You received 3 valuation opinions: post #2 ($10), post #3 ($10), and post #4 ("a dollar or two over melt").

He had already answered your original questions. I think these comments were in response to your post #9.

15. Seattlite86

You're starting to come off as being rude. You've gotten three answers to your question, as I'm seeing @Maxfli pointed out.

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I gave you an XF grade.

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Ok I will spell it out for you...

KM#13.1 High relief star

Fine reeding grade/value
    F12-$5.00 VF20-$9.00 XF40-$25.00

Coarse reeding grade/value
    F12-$50.00 VF20-$150.00 XF-$300.00

--------------------------------------------

KM#13.2 Low relief star

Coarse reeding grade/value
    F12-$5.00 VF20-$6.00 XF40-$10.00

Fine reeding grade/value
    F12-$15.00 VF-$50.00 XF40-$175.00

You said your coin is a low relief star with coarse reeding = XF grade = $10.00

I collect Cuban coins mainly for the stars on them.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Robert Ransom

I APOLOGIZE TO YOU. I did not notice the bold characters in the middle of the valuation string.
    I have mentioned my Magoo glasses in many posts and am surprised the bold characters did not get my attention.
    I expected short responses to be something like 'AU50/$15.00, AU55/$18-20.00, XF45/$10.00, etc.' I even expected someone to question my assessment of 'low star relief' based on prior sales of these coins @ Heritage Coins. I have seen many coins graded as 'High Star Relief' that, to me, look like the coin I posted.

I hope this response satisfies the other posts to this thread.

spirityoda likes this.
  19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I've owned a raw AU/UNC 1915 peso for years. And for almost as many years, I've tried to determine if it's the scarcer low relief variety. It seems to have all the correct markers, but finding definitive reference photos online has been impossible.

20. Robert Ransom

Check out Heritage Auctions, recent auctions and past auctions. I don't know if it will help or make you more confused.
    I have been working a possible thread of the High/Low Star Relief issue for a while and think I will post it when I finish. The central issue is 'Determining what is a Low vs. High relief' which is not as easy as some make it out to be. Even the "Experts" make mistakes and I will show evidence of this. This thread will take some more time and to those of you who are interested, please understand the delay in posting.

21. Robert Ransom

Post a pic. I would be interested in seeing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted