CT's Newest Member

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jan 30, 2022.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Good Evening All,.

Most, or at least a lot, of you know that the Mrs. and I have recently added a new tadpole to the pond 2 weeks ago. He was 3 weeks early and by all accounts, it was a miracle that he lived. He was born at 5lbs 7oz but after the first few days was down to 4lbs 13oz. The last two weeks have been exhausting and stressful. The first week we were in and out of the hospital. He even had to get a Covid test at 4 days old! But mid-week last week we were told that he seemed to be heading in the right direction and that we could go home.
    I wanted to give it a bit and let everything work itself out before I introduced him to the extended CT family. Well, today after 2 weeks and 3 days, I would like to introduce CT its' newest member:
    20220115_195930.jpg 20220118_095330.jpg

He has sat with me while I have been on CT and have been browsing coins online so he is already learning the hobby. His brothers and sister are absolutely enamored with him and will be great tutors in the coin collecting hobby as well.

Thank you all for the well wishes over the last few weeks. They meant a lot!

And now to keep it coin-themed...My most recent, and probably last for the foreseeable future, purchase which I bid on while sitting in labor and delivery with Mrs. Frog. I think this is a fitting coin depicting Nike (Victory) since little Frog's birth and last two weeks have been nothing short of a Victory.
    Antimachos II, Drachm, Nike and King on Horseback.png
    Antimachus II,
    AR Drachm
    174-165 BC
    Obverse: Winged Nike standing left, holding wreath and palm, monogram left,
    Greek legend around: BAΣIΛEΩΣ NIKHΦOPOY ANTIMAXOY
    Reverse: King on horseback, galloping left, Kharoshthi legend around: Maharajasa jayadharasa Amtimakhasa

Please feel free to post anything you think would fit :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Congratulations! - maybe this is appropriate - Isis & baby Horus!

Julia Domna (Augusta)
    Obv.: IVLIA AVGVSTA - Draped bust right
    Rev.: SAECVLI FELICITAS - Isis, wearing peaked headdress, standing right, left foot on prow, holding the infant Horus at her breast; to left, altar, against which rests a rudder
    Mint: Rome (ca. 196-211)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.61g / 19mm / 0h
    References:
    • RSC 174
    • RIC 577 (S. Severus)
    Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online Auction NN Live 52 #574 22-Sep-2019

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

Spaniard, Andres2, TheRed and 14 others like this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Great looking little guy. I hope you will share his progress. Did you say his handle is Tadpole?

We just had a new grandson. I set him up with a pretty good collection hoping he will be a collector. Here he is at 2 days old. Fin 2 Days Old.jpg

5. furryfrog02

He is one of 4 tadpoles. Gonna have to work on getting him a proper handle :)

How old is your grandson now? We will both be working on creating the next generation of collectors :)

6. Inspector43

Spoiling little people is my favorite pastime. This one is now 2 months old and lives about 100 miles from us. We have a total of 14 grandchildren and 21 great grandchildren. 2 more great due this Spring.

I saved back a lot of extra coins as a youngster and was able to give all of them some very nice starter sets. Some are showing interest and they get extra stuff on special days.

TheRed, +VGO.DVCKS, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Praying for you and the family. My twins were 6 weeks early and ended up in NICU for 2 weeks. Their mom was in ICU for 2 days. That was 24 years ago and everything worked out. Hoping you have the same positive outcome.

8. Inspector43

I like good news like that. One of our grandkids was born with a serious heart problem. He had open heart surgery at 5 days old, 5 months old and at 5 years old. Before he was born my daughter was advised to just give him compassion care as he wouldn't make it long. She refused. He is now 16 years old and doing pretty good.

+VGO.DVCKS, panzerman, JPD3 and 3 others like this.
  9. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Congrats @furryfrog02 on the newest tadpole! I guess my most related coin would be this denarius of Faustina II with reverse of Fecunditas/Faustina-as-Fecunditas with four children/babies:
    Faustina Junior Fecunditas.jpg

Spaniard, Andres2, TheRed and 9 others like this.
  10. furryfrog02

That's great! We don't live anywhere near family but luckily my mother in law retired in the fall. She was able to come down the week before he was born since we had a scare that he was going to be born then. My mom will be coming in about a month and will stay for a week or so. By then he should be good and not be "as needy".

11. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Great to see everyone is home and doing well! You sure make me miss having little ones around. I have seven grandkids, from 8-22 years old and I really miss when they were just little bundles to hold and rock.

Your "labor and delivery" coin has a very special story permanently attached to it now!

12. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Congratulations on the safe &healthy homecoming of your hemitetartemorion!
    May he grow and prosper.

To celebrate, here's my smallest coin (not quite sure how the Persian theme fits in, but it's the best I can do...) Cilicia tetartemorion Great Persian King..jpg

13. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! I'm glad he's well. I'll match your latest purchase with this tetradrachm of Philoxenos ;)

506_2.jpg

BAKTRIA, Indo-Greek Kingdom. Philoxenos Aniketos. Circa 125-110 BC. AR Tetradrachm (27.5mm, 9.75 g, 12h). Diademed and draped bust right / King right on horseback; monogram below. Bopearachchi 3E; HGC 12, 267.

Spaniard, Andres2, +VGO.DVCKS and 9 others like this.
  14. furryfrog02

He is so small! I am still a bit nervous when it comes times to pick him up/change him/rock him etc... I'm just not used to such tiny little babies.

15. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Here's a cute baby Krishna dancing. krishna,.jpg

16. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Sounds like it could be a fun contest! Recommend a handle for the new CT member! Knowing your suggestion was chosen would be reward enough!!! Just food for thought!!! My suggestion would be "Dirty Diaper"!!! ;):):hilarious: BTW that's a real cutie!!! I'm sure you're very proud!!!!

17. furryfrog02

If only he kept it in the diaper...not to get too gross...but I've never had so many accidental diacharges with 3 other kids as I have with this one.

18. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Good to see the little one. Take lots of pictures. Sending best wishes
    to the family. Moma did great!! ^^^^^ Concerning the discharge,
    better out than in.

+VGO.DVCKS and furryfrog02 like this.
  19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I am so very glad to hear that Tadpole # 4 has been doing better and is home now. He's adorable! (Unlike many of you, I have no grandchildren, but do have hopes for the future. Not anytime soon, though, I think. But of course I remember very well what it's like to hold a little one.)

I already posted my coin of Faustina II with four children in another one of your threads, so here instead to celebrate your little guy's progress are a handful of coins with Victory doing something other than driving a biga or triga:

M. Cato, quinarius, jpg image.jpg

COMBINED Lentulus Quinarius.jpg

Sufenas denarius jpg version (Saturn-Roma crowned with trophy).jpg

Septimius Severus - Victory.jpg

1001-CONSTANTINOPOLIS Constantine I jpg version - RCV IV 16469.jpg

Vespasian aureus 2021 Arete photo.jpg

Arcadius solidus photo Dr. Busso Peuss jpg version from MA-Shops.jpg

20. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I have no coin to post......Just a hearty Congratulations , and a nice warm feeling knowing the newest tadpole is swimming in the right direction! My best wishes to all of you~

21. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    panzerman, furryfrog02 and cmezner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted