CT link pointing at an non-existent page at Wildwinds

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by cmezner, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

"Hotlinking is when a website links to an image (or other media file) that is hosted on an external server (i.e. another website) so that the image is embedded into the web page. Websites sometimes do this instead of uploading the image directly, which means they do not actually host the image on their server."

I believe it is OK to post a link to an entry on wildwinds but not hotlinking.

finny, cmezner and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

That is correct - as an example, posting live eBay links will only be useful for a short time until that particular item sells - then the link becomes expired and deleted from that site.

finny likes this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Sorry, I do not open threads unless I am familiar with the site. Good luck

5. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

If a poster chooses to post a link rather than a picture, chances over time that the link will not work approach 99.99%. Every website changes. Don't post links, post pictures hosted here.

There are probably a trillion dead links on the Internet by now. And probably tens of thousands from CoinTalk. It's inevitable and can't be fixed nor can you expect moderators to keep track of links posted years ago that are now dead.

Don't post links, post pictures. If you do post links, expect with near certainty that, eventually, they'll link to nothing

finny and DonnaML like this.
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

If you have an interest in ancient coins, you should make sure that you do become familiar with Wildwinds!

dougsmit, finny and cmezner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted