Crystal Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SeptimusT, Dec 4, 2020.

1. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Thought this was neat and worth sharing. It's an ancient Indian punchmarked silver karshapana with a nice crop of cuprite crystals growing on it. I can't really identify it beyond saying that it's probably third century BC, but I've decided not to clean it because of how interesting the cuprite is! It manages to check my numismatist and rockhound boxes in one go. Has anyone else come across anything like this?

crystals.jpg

fomovore, Orielensis, finny and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe you are doing the right thing.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've never seen an ancient coin with something like that on it. I would keep it on it too. It's not like it's an Eid Mar or Julius Caesar coin.

Very cool though.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's cool. I would definitely leave it as is as well.

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Truly amazing . It's bring out the details.

7. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Have never seen one like that is very very sweet. Being a bit of a rockhound myself I appreaciate your difficult decision lol :D

8. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Awesome! You quite frequently see these very course crystals on various Chinese coins and sometimes they even resemble a sort of Geode-like ‘cave’. I have probably shared this image a thousand times here already, but something similar (plus some Cerussite crystals):

[​IMG]

It is the first time I have seen this well-developed crystals on something silver though! Neat find! I think you made the right call ;)

fomovore, Alegandron and Oldhoopster like this.
  9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

A stunning curiosity.

Draft saved Draft deleted