Crusader Imitation of Islamic Fatimid Gold Dinar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by willieboyd2, Oct 23, 2016.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

[​IMG]
    Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem gold Bezant
    Specs: 20mm, 3.90gm, struck AD 1148-1187

In 1099 when the Pope launched the Crusades, gold coins had not been struck or used Europe for centuries.

When the Crusaders arrived in the Holy Land they discovered that gold coins were used there, either Byzantine issues or coins made by the Moslem Fatimid empire in Cairo, Egypt.

Crusaders established kingdoms in Palestine, including the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and began minting gold coins.

These coins were copies of Moslem Fatimid coins, down to the Kufic legends promoting Islam as the true religion. Kufic was a form of Arabic writing used at the time. Most of the copies used the design of the Fatimid king al-Amir who ruled AD 1101-1130. The first coins were direct copies, as time went on the legends became less clear.

The Crusader imitations became called Saracenic Bezants, as Bezant was a term applied to a gold coin of the Byzantine empire.

The Fatimid coins were better than 95% gold and weighed around 4.25 grams. The Crusader coins were struck at Jerusalem or at nearby Acre, started at 80% gold and weighed less than 4.0 grams, and later went to 68% gold and weighing 3.25 to 3.5 grams.

The coin above is considered by numismatists to be a "second phase" coin (the 80% variety). It was made from around AD 1148 to AD 1187, when the Islamic forces of Saladin destroyed a large Crusader army at Hattin and headed for Jerusalem. This coin has poor legends and it is impossible to read the original date.

A major Crusader coin catalog is Coins of the Crusader States 1098-1291, known as CCS, by Malloy, A.G., Preston, I.F. and Seltman, A.J., published in 2004. The closest catalog coin to this one is page 116 number 3.

The coin legends would be, if they were clearer, from inside to outside:

Obverse:
    “There is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God”
    “Ali is the most excellent of the caretakers and the vizier...”
    “Muhammad is the messenger of God who sent him with guidance and the religion of truth..."

Reverse:
    “al-Amir billah, Commander of the Faithful”
    “The Imam Ma‘add summons all to confess the unity of God the eternal”.
    “In the name of God, this dinar was struck in Misr...” (Misr is Egypt or Cairo)

In AD 1250 Pope Innocent IV (AD 1243-1254) ordered the Crusaders to stop making coins with Islamic legends and they began putting Christian legends on their coins.

An odd reason for wanting a coin, but after reading Harold Lamb's books on the Crusades, I had to get one.

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great coin, very informative history lesson:):):):):):)

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

some day I will get me a Islamic Fatimid gold coin. I really like the design.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted