Crossover - covering the label?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by razorblaydesjr, Aug 2, 2015.

1. razorblaydesjr

razorblaydesjr Active Member

I was talking to someone at the coin shop last week and we were discussing some coins that I'm looking to send in to NGC/PCGS that I want to cross grade. I have a few coins in random slabs with what I feel like are spot on or even conservative grades in their current holders.

During the conversation I expressed my concerns about the negative effect a 3rd world holder might have on the coins grade. It was suggested that I cover the label with tape or a sticker to keep from that grade interfering with the crossover grade. I would think this would only apply if I chose the 'any grade' option.

Has anyone heard of doing this or done it themselves? Just curious if you felt that you had a better outcome if you did place something over the grade label.

I'm not sure this would be allowed, but thought it was worth the question on the boards. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Just be very careful of former cleanings and other impairments that some of the third tier graders ignore. As far as putting a sticker over the label, I have no idea. How about posting some pics of the coins you plan on sending in.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pretty sure it's not allowed. I think they'll both only cross slabs from each other.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

NGC only crosses from PCGS. PCGS will cross NGC, ANACS, and ICG.

6. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

This, although I do wonder if PCGS's policy is broader. I seem to recall crossing some SEGS coins to it last year.

7. razorblaydesjr

razorblaydesjr Active Member

Customer Service has told me that they'll cross SEGS even though it's not stated on their website.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  8. Coinchemistry 2012

That's what I thought. I knew I wasn't crazy...

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Why not crack them out of the third world slabs, almost nobody has any respect for them.

10. Coinchemistry 2012

SEGS attribution and authentication is actually pretty accurate and attractive to potential buyers. Although when buying I would treat a SEGS coin as raw, I am also not convinced that the larger market takes the same approach even though they do not enjoy the reputation of PCGS and NGC. I would hardly call SEGS third world. Second tier? Yes.

razorblaydesjr likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Maybe I'm just jaded with all of the TPGs, I've had a bad experience with all of them at one point or another. There is no sight unseen trading to be done with any of them. Nothing will ever replace holding the coin in hand. But I would agree that SEGSs attribution isn't bad at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted