Crossing Over ANACS to NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tater, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

It's been awhile since I have spent some time on ebay looking at coins. I spent some time tonight looking at ANACS peace dollars tonight. I looked at old white soap box slabs, blue ones and the ugly yellow ones. I wish they'd come up with better slabs as some of the coins are well graded, IMO. So it made me think what if I wanted to cross some of them especially the ones with specific VAMS. Has anyone had any luck. What do you think about the blue slabs? I'll be honest I'm not sure if they are as consistent or accurately graded as the others.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

NGC no longer allows cross-overs from any company besides PCGS. One would have to crack all other slabs before NGC looks at it.

In general, people aren't high on the blue or yellow slabs. The blue slabs are considered some of the worst by some. However, I have seen good coins in those slabs. The yellow slabs, especially over the last year or two, have become inconsistent. Some look to be under graded (sometimes by a lot; C-B-D had a post recently where an AU 55 Details yellow slab went MS 64 at PCGS). Others are over graded.

As far as VAMS, Anacs recognizes a lot more than NGC/PCGS. Unless it is a popular or expensive one, crossing it might not be financially wise.

chascat, C-B-D, JAY-AR and 1 other person like this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Lots of overgraded coins in the blue slabs, though some are fine. I often think ANACS overgraded circulated coins worse than MS coins in these holders for some reason, but one must grade for themselves.

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I have a coin in an AU-55 ANACS slab that is clearly AU-55/58 and problem-free (and everyone on CT agreed). I offered it to a friend, and he would not grade it above AU-50 just because it is in an ANACS slab.

Tater, Stevearino and C-B-D like this.
  6. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I had several coins graded by ANACS, and took them to the Denver show over the summer. Most of the dealers wouldn't give them the time of day. I had one cent that graded MS68 that I wanted to sell, but the few dealers that did respond said that since it was in an ANACS slab they couldn't trust the grade and would only consider it at best a MS 65-66 without even looking at the actual coin. Most of the time, once they saw the yellow slab, any interest vanished. This was very disappointing and an eye opener. I am rather new at collecting and thought that the 3 top TPG's were equal, so I sent these to the one with the best price for grading. Well, now I won't send them there anymore. It may be cheaper up front, but not in the long run if you can't do anything with them except break them out and re-do the grading at either NGC/PCGS.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Where did THAT idea come from? To my knowledge, in this field, NO TWO THINGS ARE EVER EQUAL. That's the nature of this beast.

That said, the last three former ANACS coins I have had graded by NGC all came back with the exact same grade. All 3 were small-slab ANACS, however.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Most people know ANACS does a good job attributing VAMS. For that reason I'd leave them in the ANACS holders.

Dave Waterstraat and chascat like this.
  9. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

THAT came from being a novice collector and not doing enough research.

10. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Has anyone used the Variety Slabbing Service for Morgan/Peace dollars that are already slabbed, but no indication of the VAM?

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

So send it in and get it in the right slab if you’re so sure. Otherwise it’s all just rumors that hold no weight

12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Last year I sent 10 coins to ANACS for a grading "SPECIAL OFFER". 3 early 50s PFs came back at least 2-3 grades lower than their NGC and PCGS comparisons of others in my collection. A couple of 1/2 and large cent coins came back in the grades I expected. A couple of PF and MS commems came back as expected. A trade dollar came back as FAKE as I expected and the dealer who sold it to me refunded me money. 1 silver eagle came back MS70. The one coin I wanted slabbed the most [a 1956 type 1 Franklin] came back PF 66 without any type 1 designation. That was a shocker for me so I sent it back in and it came back with the proper designation on the slab. My experience with ANACA was about a 50/50 one and I will probably not use them again except for odd varieties. I'm considering sending in the proof coins to NGC but it is probably not worth the cost since they're not that valuable anyway. I think most collectors buy the coin and not the holder anyway so no big deal to me. I will always like ANACS coins in old soap bar holders but anything in the blue holders are off my list to buy. The yellow holders just need a good looking over as far as I'm concerned but I avoid buying any high value coins in them.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Or you have to give NGC permission to crack them, so in effett you are just submitting them for grading since they can't come back in the original holders if they don't agree with the grades.

So he was "grading" the slab not the coin. dchjr's story is the same thing. The coin no longer matters, what matters is the plastic. The coin might actually be undergraded, but it will be called overgraded not on its own merits but because of the plastic.

TypeCoin971793, Stevearino and ddddd like this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

Common thread:
    Many dealers never wanted and never supported TPGing. It's how they made their bread. Buy low, sell high wasn't just a price thing - it was a grade thing, too. Passing judgment on plastic is just a new way to play the old game.

Localyokel, Tater and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The blue and yellow slabs may have some accurately graded coins in them. They are also highly inconsistent and will have plenty of inaccurately graded coins.

In my experience, any ANACS slab that is accurately graded will be cracked and crossed.... leaving a whole lot of stuff that you probably don't want.

Take a look through and if you are confident in your grading skills you may find a good deal, but it will be more work.

16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I don't see many of the blue slabs around anymore. The reason for the thread is that I have been looking at some of there slabs recently and thinking that I can cross some of them. Just curious what others have done or if they have had much luck. So far it looks like Kurt crossed three to NGC and they got the same grade.

17. baseball21

Anytime you’re talking about crossovers the answer will always be the same. Some will cross some won’t and some would need to be cracked out first. There’s no general rule for cross overs other than the more expensive the coin is the more likely an attempt has been made. Pretty much any slab type at least one would cross. It’s all about the individual coin with cross overs and trying to play the odds on non first tier slab generations will not lead to positive results on the whole without assessing the coins individually.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Remember, my experience is LOADED with selection bias. I did NOT pick three ANACS slabs at random to do this with. I specifically chose coins that had BOTH of the following two attributes - 1) The coin was one I needed to fill a "hole" in an otherwise NGC series, and 2) I felt the ANACS coin was strong enough for the given grade. By the way, none of the three was my main reason for the submission I sent in. They were "tag along" coins. I have a small box full of candidates for that sitting around always.

The ONLY time I've ever done an ICG to NGC pseudo-cross also came out the same - 1916-S Walking Liberty Half in MS63.

Jaelus likes this.
  19. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I haven't yet but when it comes time I will. I have however, purchased a few Morgans graded by PCGS and attributed by VSS. VSS is definitely the way to go.

dchjr likes this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

21. baseball21

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted