Crossing NGC to PCGS just get same grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Derek2200, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Foolish waste of money or what?

saw guy over there cross 5 coins get same grade prob spending $200 plus. That $ buys nice coin or whatever.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A good lesson that anyone attempting this should know how to grade well before doing this. And when it comes to trying for a MS70 over an MS69, in my mind, unless you are a pro, this would be a fools errand. JMHO.

john65999, Tater, LA_Geezer and 2 others like this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Foolish waste of money? I’d say to each his own. There are many good reasons for cross overs, e.g. plastic buyers pay more money for PCGS certified coins, some collectors need their coins in a different slab to add them to the registry, some want Trueviews of all their coins, etc.

Morgandude11, Tater, Dima and 6 others like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I understand the principle in crossing but sometimes it’s a ridiculous waste. In order to do this one must be able to properly grade a coin and they must know how each TPG does their grading. The 5 or 6 steps on a Nickel or FBL on Franklins are examples of the different views of TPG’s.

Derek2200 likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

It depends on what you have. Sometimes getting the same grade more than covers the submission fees.

Morgandude11, Dima, wxcoin and 5 others like this.
  7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I remember crossing an 1831 Bustie to NGC, ex PCGS XF45 OGH - no pictures. It came back AU53 with nice pictures, well representing the coin. And at that time PCGS coins were not allowed in the NGC registry.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3937524-001/53/
    I would have been happy with any straight grade, just to add it to my NGC set, but the upgrade to 53 was the cherry on the cake.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We really don't know what the coins were or their grades. It may have been that a one-grade bump would mean a substantial price increase. There are people who have resubmitted multiple times to finally get the increase.

wxcoin likes this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

This. PCGS coins often sell for higher prices

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

...which doesn’t make any sense because the coins remain the same. Plastic buyers...

11. baseball21

Plastic buyers are the ones buying sample slabs or paying huge premiums for the early versions. It's simply a combination of the superiority of one slab and the reputations of the two companies.

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I stick to “buy the coin, not the holder” ;-)

13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I looked at the last twenty auction sales of MS-62 1889-CC Morgan dollars, excluding PLs and DMPLs. 16 were PCGS with an average sale price of $30,292; 4 were NGC with an average sale price of $24,450. The grading fee for crossover and return shipping is $207. So, do you want to spend $207 for a reasonable chance to make $5,842?

Cal

14. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

That's exactly why I don't buy PCGS graded coins. There is a misconception that they are better coins and they're not.

john65999, Evan Saltis, Tater and 3 others like this.
  15. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Still the case, but I think the premium has come down in recent years.

Revello likes this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

But that assumes the coins are ALL exactly alike and/or interchangeable. That's not necessarily the case.

No doubt the premium is real and certainly exists especially with high-end coins. But I think most agree it has come down in recent years for many/most coins.

Revello likes this.
  17. baseball21

I'm sure you can find examples, but disagree. In many instances gaps have been widening

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

I see more and more threads here and on other sites talking about gradeflation and misses by PCGS.

My understanding -- and I wasn't there, I'm just going by what I read -- was that was what caused the discrepancy decades ago: a bunch of scuttlebut on the (early) internet and message boards that NGC had overgraded coins and made errors whereas PCGS was "tighter."

Like that famous Franklin Gradeflation thread, it seems a bit more balanced now rather than all on one TPG.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that PCGS still commands a premium. I just think it's narrowed a bit....and I see the "seeds" for a continued narrowing (not gonna say a complete reversal) with more and more posts like that Franklin Gradeflation thread (and lots of others, though that was the one that really caught my eye).

Revello likes this.
  19. baseball21

What's the point, honest question? You also see a bunch of stuff saying the dollar will fail, a decade of posts against crypto etc.

A lot of times people get upset because they didn't get the grade they wanted. Do you pick all your restaurants off of review sites where the reviews are most likely to be negative?

The market doesn't care what gets posted here

20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I’ve consigned around 200 coins to DLRC this year. Mostly stuff in the $200-$400 range. And I mostly use NGC for certification. I agree that PCGS often brings better prices, but “the great equalizer,” if you will, is CAC. (At least in my small sample of 200+ coins). The NGC coins I send to CAC that sticker are bringing very strong prices.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Tater, calcol, Dima and 4 others like this.
  21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I have a feeling someone is going to tell us that PCGS&CAC coins would bring even stronger prices :-D

Draft saved Draft deleted