Cropping and re-sizing raw pics using an iPad

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Jan 14, 2019.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When I first bought my current camera in 2011, I made a series of images illustrating the point that you can always reduce the size of images for other uses. I did not bother to show that you can not go the other way. If you only save 300x300, you are not going to get prints or enlargements later. I rarely save the full size images on 'also ran' coins anymore realizing that the reduced ones will make the prints I want.
    The images below show a combined view of the two sides reduced to a smaller size but still too large for web use. Click on them to enlarge. Below the pair is a crop from the full size camera image that would be best used for prints 20x30 or larger. These are not macro shots of part of the coin but just small sections of the original image not downsized. I enjoy looking at the details. Maybe I should sop buying coins and looking for details to appreciate on the old ones.
    Click on images to enlarge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are often asked to render opinions on the authenticity of coins from photos. We regularly point out that we can not do that with certainty unless we are saying the coin is fake. I do not claim that my photos above will allow you to say that the coins are genuine but I do say there are things shown in the cropped sections that are not obvious in the reductions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Fabulous photos, especially the enlarged extractions, @dougsmit - thank you for posting them. I do save many selected original raw pics and sometimes make enlarged extraction crops - but not of comparable quality to, or as clear as, yours. I do find them to be invaluable in studying the details of coins and rendering more precise attributions.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I just shoot free-hand with, my phone, as well

004_0.JPG 0111.JPG

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted