Critics, Complainers, and Counterfeiters

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 19Lyds, Aug 4, 2015.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Not much has changed over the past 185 years!

Regarding the Gold discovery in Dahlonega, GA and from the August 2015 Issue of Coin World:

"Templeton Reid of Milledgeville GA., was the first to strike his own coinage, but his enterprise lasted only a few months.

On July 24th, 1830, the towns Georgia Journal reported Reid had set up a private mint that he planned to move to the mines. The newspaper wrote, "He makes with great facility and great neatness, pieces worth ten, five and two and a half dollars. No alloy is mixed with it (the gold), and it is so stamped that it cannot be easily imitated."

Reid moved his mint to Gainsville, Ga., and operated it until mid-October, when he closed it in the face of overwhelming opposition. Critics claimed his coins were lightweight and illegal. One said his $10 piece contained only $9.58 in gold. Others incorrectly maintained the Constitution prohibited private coinage."
    -----------------
    "Lightweight" - indicates critics
    "Illegal" - indicates Complainers
    "Cannot be easily imitated" - indicates the existence of counterfeiting

Not much has changed over the past 185 years folks as the numismatic community is still besieged with Critics, Complainers, and Counterfeiters.

We just get'er done a lot quicker with the Internet.

TopcatCoin, Paddy54, green18 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice write up

4. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I read that whole article in Coin World, it was a great read. I like your take on it...the more things change the more they stay the same, huh?

19Lyds likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Chapter I of Roger Burdette's book, From Mine to Mint, discusses the fineness of gold that was delivered to the Philadelphia Mint from the southern states. In the aggregate, the quality of Georgia gold was of higher purity than that of the other states. It varied from a low of 0.820 to a high of 0.995 with a mean average of 0.950.

Chris

phankins11 likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

"......... But a few they will listen and soon they will find, that the answers lie waiting in the echoes of time "

phankins11 likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

It's all from Coin World.

I only posted this because it was relatively easy to type in the text.

Older issues of Coin World address counterfeiting such as the 1936 through 1942 Proof Coins. Hopefully folks are aware that there was a huge stockpile of counterfeits for those years comprised of finely polished circulation coins which we occasionally run into in today's market place.

I love the Internet but sometimes newbies get on it and think that they're hearoing something new when in reality, it isn't new at all.

I've learned over the years that what I once thought was unique and original, wasn't unique and original at all. Simply unique and original to "my generation".

phankins11 likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Those wouldn't be counterfeits, they are altered/misrepresented pieces.

On the other hand there are a bunch of "tribute proofs" out there that are copies. I don't recall if they are maked copy but they are pretty easy to spot because whoever made them is only familiar with modern proofs so the have frosted devices and S mintmarks, and in the case of the Nickel and quarter the mintmark is on the obverse. (Yes a cameo 1936 S proof quarter with the mintmark on the obv.)

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Does it really matter what Templeton Reid minted, made or produced? Wouldn't you like to have a few of his pieces?

phankins11 likes this.
  10. 19Lyds

That's True Conder but they were referred to as counterfeits in the aritcles I read.

Draft saved Draft deleted