CRISPUS the rapist (???)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Oct 6, 2019.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

a haha..kool...brings back memories eh?!..:)...well that's purdy neat, Brian..

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Crispus had a very convulated but interesting lineage/family background:

His father (Constantine) was an Emperor

His grandfather on his father’s side (Constantius I) was an Emperor

His grandfather on his step-mother’s side (Maximian Herculius - Maximianus - was an Emperor

His step-grandmother on his father’s side (Helena) was (eventually) a Saint

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That was not the reference I was thinking of. This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/Constantine-Dynasty-Religion-Power-Empire/dp/1118782755/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Dynasty,+Religion+and+Power+in+the+Later+Roman+Empire&qid=1570412356&sr=8-1

Constantine: Dynasty, Religion and Power in the Later Roman Empire by Timothy D. Barnes.

I misremembered Barnes' hypothesis, but he argues Crispus and others were caught up in a high treason scandal organized by Fausta, who ended up killing herself so her children could inherit the empire...I think. See chapter 7. Barnes does his homework and presents a lot of primary sources. I haven't had a look at this in a couple years so any mistakes are mine. Maybe later I'll go back and take another look and write something better.

Roman Collector and Marsyas Mike like this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My favorite Crispus; also one of my favorite campgates.

Crispus - Campgate SMANTE 1382.jpg
    CRISPUS
    AE3. 3.7g, 19.1mm. Antioch mint, AD 325-326. RIC VII Antioch 64 (R2). O: FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left. R: PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS, campgate with 7 layers, 2 turrets, star between; SMANTЄ in exergue.

A scarcer 'plain' vota type with no wreath.

Crispus - VOTIS no wreath 2072.jpg CRISPUS
    AE3. 2.97g, 18.5mm. Arles, AD 320. RIC VII Arles 220 (R3). O: CRISPVS - NOB CAES, laureate head right. R: CAESARVM NOSTRORVM around VO/TIS/V in three lines; TA in exergue below a horizontal line.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Crispus 5.jpg
    CRISPUS
    AE3
    OBVERSE: D N FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: PROVIDEN TIAECAESS Jupiter stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on scepter, holding Victory on globe. In field to l., palm branch; in field to r., dot A; in exergue, SMN
    Struck at Nicomedia 317 - 320 A.D
    2.92g, 18mm
    RIC VII 32

Spaniard, ominus1, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Interesting biographical information and some great looking Crispii (sp ?) posted here. I only have two and it has been a couple years since I attributed them, so I may have made some errors. The cruddy one from Rome is rare, I think - condition is unfortunate :(.

Crispus campgate Rome Sep 2017 (0).jpg

Crispus
    Æ 18
    (318-319 A.D.) Rome Mint

CRISPVS NOB C[AES], laureate, cuirassed bust left, spear & shield front / VIRTVS AVG[G], Campgate with 6 rows, 3 turrets, closed doors, double archway, P R across fields RP in exergue
    (2.38 grams / 18 mm)
    RIC VII, 180 (Rarity 5).

Crispus Altar Sep. 2017 (0).jpg

Crispus Æ 20
    (322-323 A.D.) Trier Mint

IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, Laureate, cuirassed bust left, spear over shoulder & shield / BEATA TRANQVILLITAS altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX, globe and three stars above, •PTR• in exergue.
    (2.15 grams / 20 mm)
    RIC VII, 374 Trier

8. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Two of my three are below. The first is a pleasant :) looking silvered one. The second is an unsightly :wacky: but interesting example due to the rarely seen shield containing a seated victory inscribing a shield.

upload_2019-10-8_1-50-5.png

upload_2019-10-8_2-8-30.png

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is an interesting shield. It looks like the standard Victory inscribing shield type seen long before and after. I did not recall seeing the idea on a coin of Constantine's lifetime. There is a solidus of Constantius II rather later so I went looking and found quite an array. I only have the more common ones.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.asp...R_TYPE_ID_2=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1
    Commodus
    rc2525fd3433.jpg

Eudoxia
    ry7990bb1597.jpg

10. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

@dougsmit - Nice examples!

Here is a link to a nicer example of the same type as mine.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=145091
    It hammered at $350 plus fees, which is quadruple what I paid for mine. :-o
    Although mine is clearly inferior to it the CNG example shows nothing on the shield that Victory is inscribing whereas at least on mine you can kinda'-sorta' make out something.

The Cripus shield type that I badly want is the one with a Christogram on the shield. I've waited years for one to come up for sale. :-/ Here's an example:
    upload_2019-10-8_13-0-42.png

11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

One vota Crispus from Thessalonica
    142-08.jpg
    and one with spear and shield. 142-14.jpg

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Another old thread revived, to give myself an opportunity to post my one coin of Crispus:

Crispus Caesar, Billon reduced Centenionalis, Arelate [Arles] Mint (3rd Officina) 321 AD. Obv. Laureate bust right, CRISPUS NOB CAES / Rev. VOT • V in three lines within laurel wreath, CAESARVM NOSTRORVM. In exergue: T [Crescent] A. RIC VII ARLES 235 (p. 260), Sear RCV IV 16747, Cohen 30. 20 mm., 2.73 g.

Crispus Caesar - jpg version.jpg

13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i have 7 coins of Crispus... i found 3 more on the table recently...:D

14. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

CRISPUS
    .ATR Treveri, 317-318
    3,86 g - 18 mm
    C91 - RIC VII 140

15. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Whilst in quarantine during the COVID-19 pandemic, I've been going through piles of other stuff I've collected over the years, namely old books. Though not a coin, this seems to fit this revived thread. A play by Nathaniel Lee called Constantine the Great, published in 1684 in quarto.

According to this play, Crispus and Fausta didn't get along...out of breath with kisses, but also daggers and stuff. I haven't read the whole thing, but below is an excerpt:

Constantine the Great Nat Lee 1684 (2).JPG

Constantine the Great Nat Lee 1684 (3).JPG

16. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

nice coin:happy:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted