Crispus, no match?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AdamsCollection, Nov 21, 2019.

1. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

Working through this uncleaned coin, I believe it to be a Crispus coin, however I'm having a really tough time finding an exact match.

Crispus1.jpg Crispus2.jpg The Reverse has very sharp details in the hand, until it doesn't probably due to a weak strike, on the upper right reverse and left of the obverse. Crispus3.jpg

The Reverse is definitely CAESARVM NOSTRORVM -Laurel wreath enclosing VOT dot X
    PTR Mint. The obverse I can see the PVS NOB C, however not the LVL CRIS due to the poor strike, Now searching online I have not found a single MATCH, some VERY close but not the exact coin. Wondering if anyone has any good resources I can use or find to help narrow this down. Please lmk any tips and advice for identifying it fully! :)

chrsmat71 and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

The mintmark is from Trier. Did you check on Wildwinds, acsearch or coinproject ?

4. AdamsCollection

Yeah, I checked wild winds maybe I missed it but I have not found an exact match, always something that is off or different. I thought I had it a couple times until I double checked and sure enough something was off.

Im wondering if this might possibly be some ancient imitation? Im not sure.

Perhaps it is a Constantine, just can't read the legend beyond PVS NOB C

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Looks like RIC 431. If you dont have the book, try acsearch.info. Entering 'crispus ptr' should give you the number.

AdamsCollection likes this.
  6. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Broucheion likes this.
  7. AdamsCollection

8. AdamsCollection

Thanks for the place to look!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted