CRH HALVES 1972-D Kennedy - no initials

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Vince11229, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Vince11229

Vince11229 Well-Known Member

I don’t know what to make of this. I only kept it due to the misaligned die strike but now taking a closer look the engravers initials FG for Frank gasparro are missing. The coin is pretty beaten up but the tail and leg that supposedly bracket the initials are clear. Could the initials have just worn away? Mmmmm image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Probably a over polished and worn die. I can see a nub or two where the initials should be.

Vince11229 likes this.
  4. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

This yr is in the cherry pickers guide but as stated above there are still remnants of the letters meaning it does not qualify. Also looks like some grease in the die at the tail. This coin also has the Ring Of Death on both sides. I check for rotation and no FG all in one pass as I pull each coin from a roll. If it is not a known error year it goes straight into the re-roll bucket. Id recommend checking every single coin you get for both of these errors. I found a 2000 rotated error doing so. Good luck!

Vince11229 likes this.
  5. Vince11229

Vince11229 Well-Known Member

Yes under some very bright light and correct angle I can very faintly detect the initials. Thanks. I guess the ring of death is from the crimping of the roll. There are a lot of damaged coin out there. From now on I’ll be on the hunt for the rotated error also. Appreciate the tip

Draft saved Draft deleted