Creativity needed: make/buy "ancient" tokens for board game

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I didn't know whether to post here or in the "Ancients" forum, but here we go...

First of all... I am *not* trying to make counterfeit coins ;-)

Our kids and I like to play 7 Wonders. We love the game, but the cheap cardboard silver and gold coins that come with the game... well, they just don't cut it.

On Day One of owning the game, I added some arcade tokens that I bought several years ago when I built my arcade cabinet. I had enough "silver" and "gold" tokens to make the game more fun (because the coins look/feel/sound more real than, well, cardboard.)

Scannedbrasssmall.gif

Now I'd like to take it to the next level. (Cue cool, macho music)

I would just buy real ancient gold and silver coins, but my wife would frown on this... and kick me out of the house... but at least I'd have some cool coins... hmm...

I could just buy authentic, inexpensive, non-precious metal ancient coins, but to be of any decent weight and condition, I think I'd end up spending at least $10-$20 per coin. Again, too expensive.

So... remember... these HAVE to be METAL.

1) Is it possible to make something that would look like an ancient coin? (AGAIN, not real enough to fool someone).

2) Is it possible to buy them somewhere?

(Anywhere I look online, I see arcade tokens like I already have, but the design isn't right. I see places that do custom tokens, but they are cost prohibitive.)

3) Is it possible (I doubt it) to buy actual ancient coins larger than the size of a quarter for $1 or so each? I cringe at the mockery I will receive for even suggesting this...

I think I would need at least 20 tokens/replicas to represent the "gold", and at least 20 "silver" tokens/replicas.

I would love to experiment (inexpensively) with making molds, but since lead is out, I don't know what types of metal would have low enough melting points to make decent tokens.

I could hammer the heck out of aluminum blanks, but I'd have to get a die made somewhere. Make that two dies.

Again, looking for constructive and creative (but do-able) replies.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

I found this video on YouTube. While I'm not thrilled with this man's artistic abilities, his method may be sound.

He suggests using ProCreate Putty to sculpt the design, then a non-toxic metal with a low melting point. I think he suggested Bismuth? Is that non-toxic? I see conflicting information on the internet...

4. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Yellow brass could be used as a gold substitute (melting point 1660-1710 F).
    Buy some junk silver coins to melt down to make the silver ones (melting point 1763 F).
    If silver is too expensive, aluminum could be used (melting point 1221 F).
    or perhaps zinc (melting point 787 F).

The bottled propane torches can reach sufficient temperatures to melt any of those metals. Using air, max. attainable temp. is 3623 F, & using with oxygen 5110 F.

MAPP, MAP-Pro, or acetylene are some other options that will provide even higher combustion temps.

The putty looks like a nice way to make the coins. Back in junior high metal shop, I made some large, wall hanger type coins using a sand mold. The putty looks like it would be easier to use for small pieces.

5. NeonBlurb

NeonBlurb Member

I'd probably use lead free pewter. The pour temperature is only ~550 degrees F. Get an old hot plate at a garage sale and set it up outside to do your melting.

Rotometals and Hallmark Metals both sell lead free pewter in reasonable quantities.

The tricky part is getting the dies made. They tend to be expensive. For soft metal you might be able to find some guy with a CNC mill and have him mill a simple design for you in steel. Then use that to strike an image on the pewter.

If you end up going with brass or any other alloy containing zinc you need to be very careful about the fumes. People need zinc in their diet but they apparently don't need to breath it.

I'm curious how this turns out as I have had the desire to try something similar. Just haven't had the time.

Good luck!

6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I'm going to get destroyed for saying this, but you could buy reproductions of ancient coins? I'm sure they would look nice and come in the sizes and prices you like.

7. Dougmeister

I won't destroy you for saying it, but yes, "they" will come after you for that ;-)

I could, but it would be cost-prohibitive, I'm afraid.

I have no idea what this will cost. I have it in my head that anything over $1/each is too much. I'd rather have it be closer to $0.50/each or even less. That may be a pipe dream.

I'm willing to put in $20-$30 for this project... maybe a little more... and plenty of elbow grease.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You can get cheapo reproductions of ancient coins. Here's a google page, sorted by price...

Various Reproductions

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted