Creating My Own Registry Set Package

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Dec 3, 2016.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

With the imminent (1/1/17) change in NGC's policy regarding Registry Sets I find they no longer meet my needs.

I want to create my own website that I can use to show my collection easily.
    Currently I have to download an image to a site and create a link to that image which I can post.
    Lots of work for what is often used one time.

I can program (well, I used to be able to) and have somewhat more than a beginner's familiarity with HTML (albeit an older version).
    I figure that with the help of a site builder package I can do a job that will at least satisfy me and do what I intend it to do.

I looked at Dreamweaver but I don't want to subscribe to it at $20/month (I strongly suspect I will NOT be immediately devoting considerable time to this effort).
    I want to own and have the site development application discs on hand.
    I already have my domain name and storage site for images and my show-and-tell package.

So FIRST I would like suggestions for site development software.
    Then once I get started I can see myself coming back here often for suggestions as to how the proposed site might work.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

If all you want to do is a couple of pages, perhaps hand coding isn't out of line?

There are plenty of 'responsive design templates' you can find for free and then drop your own coding into it. Either via hand coding or a tool.

Otherwise, Google for "responsive design wysiwyg tools" but make sure you are looking at recent pages (a lot of tools have come and gone in the last couple years).

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm not really in that part of the business any more, but I think you may have a hard time with the "discs-in-hand" part. Everyone seems to be moving toward subscription models, and with Web tools in particular, you kind of need to stay up-to-date. You certainly can build good sites that don't rely on bleeding-edge technology, but every popular tool and framework seems to drive in that direction.

My own take: I wish everyone designing Web sites or applications would spend more time worrying about what users want to do with it, and less time worrying about how it's built or what browser features it should require. Sure, it's pretty when everything shimmers and slides and fades as you move around a screen -- but it's slowing me down (and killing my battery), when all I want to do is get to the info or task I need.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

If you have the skills to build your own site, good for you.

If you would like something very easy to use, clean, uncluttered, free, and with a place to add descriptions and multiple images, I can recommend Collectivecoin. It also has a built-in selling option and sends out daily emails for promotion of your "for sale" coins on the day they are listed.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

try re-coding / re-encoding a presently used system, ngc has collectors society , pcgs coin facts , it should include the capability to use anacs ,icg, pci /dgs holders as long as they are verifiable via website registry

7. kaosleeroy108

im not recommending plagiarism i am saying sample the codec reconstruct it..have fun

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Not feasible - all you can see is the generated code, the backend is invisible to you the user and that's most of the work.

As an analogy, if you have a coin you can probably reverse engineer the die (or something close) used to make the coin, but not the press used to stamp the die onto a blank to make the coin.

9. kaosleeroy108

Use a tor / onion browser, the surface codec is html CSS you should use learn Java you Gona need it

From the hobby center and think tank of MTS.LLC

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

edit: never mind.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted