Create a Virtual Coin Collection Contest. (Plus a YN opportunity)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Kasia, Feb 4, 2016.

1. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

If I were to have a coin collection, I would have a 1792 large cent in VF condition, silver center, a mint state 65 red 1857 Braided Hair Large cent, and an uncirculated 1922 Lincoln wheat back cent.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The coin depicted above was designed by Henry Voigt, who was born in 1738 and was the first us coin designer. Before designing this coin, he ran a wire mill, and plaid an important role in some of the founding fathers lives, helping to improve their day to day lives, and thus america as a whole in that respect. He even repaired watches and clocks for Thomas Jefferson! This coin is particularly chosen for its quality eye appeal, and role that it plays in the history of American coinage. This coin was one of the first coins to be made by the Philadelphia mint, which had just opened months before this coin was minted from the us mint, and has a silver center which was placed there in an effort to make the coin smaller, (which was successful because its diamiter was only 23mm, as opposed to the 18.5 mm that was on the braided hair large cent. This coin will be included in the collection to provide for a Trophy coin, that can be shown off in order to impress others; and show the awesomeness, and equity of early american coinage.

The second coin will be a 1857 large cent that is PCGS graded in PROOF 66 Brown condition.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This coin was originally designed by Christian Golbrecht, and was first minted in 1839. Golbecht first thought of this design while looking at the figure of love, that was first depicted in Benjamin west painting. Golbecht was one of the greatest designers of coins in United States history, and would go on to design many important, and classic designs for US coinage such as the ones depicted on the seated half dime, seated dime, seated quarter, seated half dollar, seated dollar, and Golbrechet dollar. (which was a pattern.) This coin is in the collection to display how so many great changes occurred in US coin designs, within less than a persons lifetime (65 years).

The third coin that will be in this collection is an NGC graded, uncirculated red 1922 wheat back cent.

[​IMG][​IMG]'
    This coin was designed by Victor David Brenner and was first minted in 1909. Victor David Brenner was born in 1871 in Lithuania by Jewish parents. He immigrated to America in 1890, and studied in Pairs as a medalist. He designed this coin after suggesting to have a coin with Lincolns bust on it to Theodore Roosevelt, and got his permission to do so, because Roosevelt was impressed with a centennial plaque that he designed for him earlier. This coin will be in the collection to further display how there was an even greater change in the US mints coin designs within another 65 years, because the mint changed from utilizing large cent plachets, to a small cent plachets, and is another coin that can provide room for upgrades in this collection because there are designations with the mint mark for this particular coin, such as the 1922 "no d" mint mark, which is important to note because the cent was only minted in the Denver mint during this year.

This collection will bring together 3 important coin designs, and designers to provide an collection that can be provide new meaning to very advanced collectors type sets. Furthermore, it will provide room for substations because it is based on a 65 year period, which can be altered to provide for a more meaningful timeline that will adapt to anyone's budget. Also, it depicts the cent, which is a coin that has touched many american hearts for hundreds of years, and if effectively utalized; can be shown to the public to help show the important of the cent in American History.

WORK CITED
    http://www.coinfacts.com/patterns/1792_patterns/1792_judd_01.htm

http://www.usacoinbook.com/encyclopedia/coin-designers/henry-voigt/

http://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-large...206-4271.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515

http://coinauctionshelp.com/BraidedLargeCent.html#.V00EDJErKhd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-D-Linc...133370?hash=item2a690db8ba:g:998AAOxyhXRTM0ki

http://www.thewheatpenny.com/the-designer-of-the-wheat-penny-victor-david-brenner/1357/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Contest is over. I will be checking the entries and making a decision. Good luck to all who participated!

4. Kasia

Congrats to @Coinlover67 for the winning display of the 10 coin challenge. I actually loved the choices you made in coins for their looks and the way they looked together! As a note, though, if you look at @gxseries post number 61, he actually did a display that was wonderful. You have an eye for coins and I think you would benefit if you will try to create virtual displays and perhaps, instead of writing individual synopses of the coins themselves, tell a story about the entire 'thing', which was the minting of silver dollars in the US from the beginning until the Pittman Act and perhaps why they changed. Putting things in a historical context can be quite rewarding. Just a thought.

For the YN opportunity, the winner will be between entries by @Aidan_() , @BATTERup646 , @K2Coins , and @brandon spiegel. I will have to think about these entries a little more before making my decision. Perhaps tonight or tomorrow I will announce it.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Kasia, thanks for your kind comments. The original intention of how I planned to design the album was to challenge the original Dansco album. The way I wanted to set is it to arrange it by era, type, denomination. As my understanding of US coinage is poor - I left it hanging in the air.

6. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

@Kasia Thanks for the opportunity to participate. When I first saw it I deemed it impossible, but when you posted trying to gain interest again I thought I would try. Thanks to @K2Coins entry's I quickly figured out the main jist except for that last coin which required some deliberation. I had a fun time and it was a pleasure to participate.

7. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Thank you for holding the contest. I enjoyed it.

8. Kasia

Ok... for the YN part... congrats to @BATTERup646 !

1) @brandon spiegel , I liked your efforts, and I thought your choice of the trade dollars for a three piece set was really good and the best you entered. You wrote well about it but, although you gave me the reasons for the coins you picked for it, I ended up not being satisfied with the way they looked together.

2) @K2Coins , you had a lot of effort in here and i though your Dollar type (Trade/Seated Liberty/Morgan) was also a good choice, and the coins went well together. Which made it exceptionally tough to choose someone else.

3) @Aidan_() I loved your sassy entry, and it brings me smiles. The presentation was classic old style book illustration and put them all together to be seen as one display. But ultimately I did not choose it as the winner because you put in 5 coins, and I wanted a 3 piece set. Since the others did the three piece ones, I felt I had to go with them if possible.

4) @BATTERup646 . You are the YN winner. For some reason not only three small cents made sense as a type set in and of itself, but you chose some coins that were so nice to look at and wrote a piece about it.

I am sorry I could not pick any of the others but it was difficult to choose the one I did. I love and hate that. I love it because it means I got great responses, but I hate it because it disappoints some who really worked hard and also did a great job. I hope that when I have other contests, you will all participate.

Winners need to pm me their addresses.

BATTERup646, Coinlover67 and green18 like this.
  9. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Thank you for the opportunity, and for considering me. The new-found knowledge that has been obtained from this contest is something that will carry with me for the rest of the time that I will ever spend in numismatics.

Kasia, green18 and Coinlover67 like this.
  10. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

:joyful:
    Hooray!

And to everyone > Good work, I liked all of your entires, and spent hours on this thread reading them. I definitely learned a lot about each individual coins history, and I will remember them for a long time.

Kasia and brandon spiegel like this.
  11. Kasia

I have the addresses and will send out the coins soon, likely on Monday. Enjoy!

BATTERup646 and Coinlover67 like this.
  12. Kasia

Lastly, I will thank the Dealer at a coin show who discounted the price of the Walking Liberty Half dollar when I told him I was looking for a really great prize for a YN on Coin Talk. You have to give it to experienced numismatists, they do like to encourage collecting coins and appreciating things like this.

BATTERup646 likes this.
  13. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Lol, didn't even follow your rules Kasia! Thanks for considering my entry anyways, I enjoyed it. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted