Create a Virtual Coin Collection Contest. (Plus a YN opportunity)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Kasia, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

still at 90%, although that was an interesting 10th choice ;) . Lesher, however, minted things in Colorado away from the US Mint, and being a "so-called" dollar won't fit in. BTW, you might look at a famous designer that actually had coins minted by the US officially. All my coins were put out by the US government (US MINT).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

1)Flowing Hair Dollar
    2)Draped Bust Small Eagle Reverse
    3) Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle
    4) Gobrecht Dollar with Coin or Medal Turn
    5) Gobrecht Dollar
    6)Gobrecht Dollar circulation issue
    7) No Motto Liberty Seated Dollar
    8) Liberty Seated Dollar with motto IN GOD WE TRUST
    9) Trade Dollar
    10) Morgan Dollar

4. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Alright @Kasia here is what I have come up with after looking thought the Red book.
    1. 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar
    2. 1795 Draped Bust Small Eagle Reverse
    3. 1804 Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle
    4. 1836 Gobrecht Dollar w/Coin or Medal Turn
    5. 1838 Gobrecht Dollar
    6. 1851 No Motto Liberty Seated Dollar
    7. 1870 S Liberty Seated Dollar w/Motto
    8. 1877 Trade Dollar
    9. 1883 Hawaiian Dollar
    10. 1889 CC Morgan

Kasia likes this.
  5. Kasia

@brandon spiegel and @Coinlover67 --- you guys are so close. brandon you need to pay attention to what I am saying to coinlover67 'cuz you are still off a bit more than him, and I think you are still just guessing wildly in a way. Coinlover67 has this nailed except for one coin he can't seem to get yet. For that I say I can see why you guessed the Hawaiian, but that one is not the one I was wanting. It kind of doesn't fit in since Hawaii was not a state at the time, nor was it annexed to the US when this dollar was made. Although minted in both SF (circulating) and Philly (for proof sets), this was the currency of the Kingdom of Hawaii (under King Kalakaua I) rather than under the US. So no, it won't fit. As a clue, the one I am looking for was minted for the US for our purposes of something in another country; yet that doesn't make it part of the other country's (i.e. non-US) currency. At this point you should also be looking at which coins you would want to have (actual images) as the virtual collection. It should be eye-catching and have a great overall look.

6. Coinlover67

Could you tell us what century the "problem" coin was in @Kasia? If you feel that would be TMI that is okay too. Really stumped by this last one.

7. brandon spiegel

could the coin be a trade dollar with chop marks?

8. brandon spiegel

To get another try at the collection set, I would have a proof 1880 trade dollar, a circulated 1877s trade dollar, and an 1873 cc trade dollar with chop marks in the set. These coins were designed by William barber, and this set will display how the same design, was used for so many different purposes. The circulated trade dollar, would be there to display, how this coin did not have status as a legal tender during a part of its production on american soil so it was often times not liked by workers due to the drop in silver prices, which made it to where they were worth less than a dollar a piece. The low grade will not only help to emphasize this dislike of this coin type, but will provide a good entry way into the set. The one with chop marks will be there to display the original purpose of the trade dollar, where it was made to be comparable with the Mexican peso, so it could be utilized in trade with china whom produced many of the worlds goods at the time. Befroe the introduction of the trade dollar (where many other countries tried to have similar examples) the Chinese only accepted pesos (and likely 8 realz pieces) so countries, would have to trade silver with mexico, before they could they could trade with china. This coin was there to prevent that, and to reduce the costs that were involved in trade with china were accepted. The marks were there so merchants could test the purity of the coin, and is proof that it was utilized in oversees trade. The proof will be there, because it displays how there was a rise in interest in collecting coins at the time, and will also serve the purpose to act as a trophie piece in this collection, that can be utilized to show other people, the amazingness of the trade dollar. This collection, can be useful to build for those of a wide numismatic knowledge, whom may not want to specialize in the trade dollar; but have an interesting set that is fully put together, even though it is only comprised of three coins.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Work Cited

http://www.coinworld.com/coinvalues/dollar/trade-dollar.html (for knowledge)

Work Cited for images

http://coinhelp.net/trade-dollar_value-1873-85/

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=4205

http://www.amazon.com/trade-dollars-proof-dollar-pcgs-cac/dp/b010mlebba

Kasia likes this.
  9. Kasia

This coin was a one-off produced during the time of Morgan production. The Denver mint was not yet in operation, so it could not have been produced there. It was produced from silver bought separate from those producing the last Morgans from original dies.

10. brandon spiegel

is it a pattern?

11. Kasia

So far it's been determined that it is: Not a Pattern. Not a So-Called Dollar. Not a Hawaiian "Dollar".

12. Coinlover67

Not at home so I don't have redbook with me. Is it a Philipine Issue?

13. Kasia

no Philippine

14. brandon spiegel

Could it be...
    1)Flowing Hair Dollar
    2)Draped Bust Small Eagle Reverse
    3) Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle
    4) Gobrecht Dollar with Coin or Medal Turn
    5) Gobrecht Dollar
    6) No Motto Liberty Seated Dollar
    7) Liberty Seated Dollar with motto IN GOD WE TRUST
    8) Trade Dollar
    9) Morgan Dollar
    10)Liberty gold dollar

15. Kasia

no gold dollar

16. Coinlover67

So the coin is a substantial rarity correct?

17. Kasia

Not thinking it is a rarity but more likely overlooked because it is not the primary denomination for the majority of coins issued in its category, and was sort of unique in that respect until modern times. Perhaps that could be why you haven't id'd it yet.

18. Kasia

UPDATE and SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

I have decided that since there are only a few more days, and the days are primarily a holiday weekend (memorial day weekend) that I will identify the collection and that those who are interested in putting together the virtual collection for my enjoyment (and possibly to win the prize) have a little time to do so. Anyone participating prior to now will get 'extra bonus type points' for being participants in the guessing portion.

The virtual collection is a Silver Dollar TYPE set for silver dollars minted in the US between 1792 (when minting started) and 1918 when the Pittman act went into effect, and (in hindsight) may have been the beginning of the end for regular silver dollars. As such, my collection should have in it one of each type:
    1. Flowing Hair (1794-1795)
    2. Draped Bust Small Eagle (1795-1798)
    3. Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle (1798-1804)
    4. Gobrecht stars on reverse, plain edge (1836)
    5. Gobrecht stars on obverse, reeded edge (1838-1839)
    6. Liberty Seated 1840-1865
    7. Liberty Seated 1866-1873[note; if you use the Liberty Seated in 1873 it must be distinguished from the Trade dollar also minted that year. these coins have different reverses]
    8. Trade (also a Liberty Seated, but from 1873-1885)
    9. Morgan (minted 1878-1921, but only have one that is from 1878-1904 so that entire collection is for dollars before the Pittman Act because the silver purchased for minting of silver dollars by the Sherman Act was to be used post July 1898 only to mint silver dollars and no other coins, that silver ran out in 1904)
    10. Lafayette Dollar 1900 (the only dollar commemorative, was minted on Dec 14, 1899 as part of a drive to raise money for US participation in the World Fair in Paris in 1900. Silver could not be used from the Sherman Act for this, so Silver was purchased specifically for this. This coin was designed by Chief Engraver Charles E Barber, and it ended up being the first Silver Dollar commmemorative and also the only US commemorative silver dollar before 1983 (and of course the only SILVER DOLLAR in the 'Classic Commemorative' years (1892-1954). Athough this was sold for a $2 issue price initially, (less than 50,000 ones minted and for sale were sold [26 were also minted for assay purposes, etc]: 14,000 ended up finally being melted) not very many were actually sold to collectors and sales continued for a some years. By 1903, the price for sale of these had lowered to 1.10, and it is estimated that many of these eventually entered circulation during hard times, so they were used and usable in circulation.

This I think would be a very interesting virtual collection to have, and it also presents issue in presentation in finding and displaying coins for each type that would work well with each other and a way to display them that allows the historical perspective and the story of the silver dollars prior to the great melt in the US.! So choose your virtual coins well, and if you can tell the story as well in a fascinating way, all the better!

brandon spiegel likes this.
  19. Coinlover67

@Kasia I had been on vacation and just got back and read getting ready to post that I thought the last dollar was 1900 Lafayette Dollar. Guess you beat me to the punch. Will get to work on the display.

Kasia likes this.
  20. Coinlover67

1. 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar. The first dollar ever made, designed by Robert Scott.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    2. 1795 Draped Bust Small Eagle Reverse. Designed by Robert Scott and John Eckstein, the dollar went through a reverse change in 1798 to a Heraldic Eagle.
    [​IMG]
    3. 1804 Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle. Known as the King of American coin the 1804 dollar is a substantial rarity with fewer than 25 pieces known. All 1804 dollars are destined, with 3 main periods. Class 1 dollars were minted in 1836 to go along with a presentation set to the King of Siam along with others. Class 2 dollar edge is plain and a single example resides in the Numistmatic collection at the Smithsonian. The coin was also struck over a 1857 Swiss shooting Thaler. Class 3 dollars were minted in the mid-late 1800's and were sold by Mint employees.
    [​IMG]

@Kasia here is the first part of my display. Have to be to bed but will post rest tomorrow.

21. Coinlover67

4. 1836 Gobrecht Dollar Coin Alignment No Stars Obverse. Designed by Christian Gobrecht, the design on the obverse was used until 1892 with a few modifications. Overall, the coin was made with 4 different alignments. The descriptions below is copied from PCGS Coinfacts.
    I – Coin turn (flipped up/down) with pellets left and right of ONE DOLLAR level and the eagle flying “onward and upward.”
    II – Medal turn (flipped left/right) with pellets left and right of ONE DOLLAR level and the eagle flying “onward and upward.”
    III – Coin turn (flipped up/down) with uneven pellets and eagle flying level.
    IV – Medal turn (flipped left/right) with uneven pellets and eagle flying level.
    [​IMG]
    5. 1839 Gobrecht Dollar No Stars Reverse. Also designed by Christian Gobrecht, this version of the Gobrecht dollar had stars on the Obverse instead of on the Reverse.
    [​IMG]
    6. 1851 No Motto Liberty Seated Dollar. Designed by Christian Gobrecht, it featured the same obverse as the Gobrecht Dollar, but had a different reverse.
    [​IMG]
    7. 1870-S Liberty Seated Dollar With Motto. Designed by Christian Gobrecht, the Design was the same, but in 1866 the Motto was added to U.S. Coinage.
    [​IMG]
    8. 1877 Trade Dollar. Designed by William Barber, the Trade dollar features Liberty sitting on bundles with a branch in her right hand, with the sea in front. The design symbolized the trade with the world. The Trade dollar was made for export only, many received chop marks to signify that they had been tested for silver purity.
    [​IMG]
    9. 1889 CC Morgan Dollar. Designed by George Morgan, the Morgan is one of the most popular coin ever minted by the U.S. Mint. Serious Morgan collectors collect VAM varieties. The minting of Morgan dollars were stopped in 1904, but in 1921 they were struck again. In the 1960's it was discovered that the Treasury had millions of Morgan dollars in storage. Many rarities were no longer rare, the 1904-O Dollar being one of them. The Treasury gave them out in exchange for silver certficates, aand many people brought a wheelbarrow to haul them with. In the 1970's more CC dollars were discovered with them being auctioned off at premiums in the GSA Hoard.
    [​IMG]
    10. 1900 Lafayette Dollar. Designed by Charles Barber, it has the distinction of being the only Classic Commemorative Dollar.
    [​IMG]
    @Kasia here is the rest of my display. Thanks for the opportunity to participate in the contest. Images from PCGS Coinfacts.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Kasia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted