Create a Virtual Coin Collection Contest. (Plus a YN opportunity)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Kasia, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Well, you only think it's extremely frustrating because you haven't gotten the coins listed yet. I would be willing to say that if you could identify 5 of them you might/would stand a great chance of getting the others figured out with little difficulty. But I am thrilled you want to win it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

I said 1804 Silver Dollar first, I said it second. No one else has said it. Given that I get multiple guesses in a day, I'm guessing 1856 Flying Eagle as a second coin, but not in spot #2.

4. Kasia

"Each member may put up two groupings of coins each day to try to figure out what the collection will have in it."

Regarding your last guess. It becomes a conundrum. The best way I can put this in an answer to how you stated your guess may be that if you include an 1856 dated coin, it won't be a Flying Eagle and if you include a flying eagle it likely was never struck in 1856. Sorry, but specificity begets specificity.

5. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

I feel like you made an example of the flying eagle cent because of me.

6. Kasia

I was replying to @swish513

7. Kasia

@BATTERup646 your entry is good. There are two different opportunities. One is only for YNs (the one you put an entry in for) and the other anyone can enter but it is harder. That is the one @swish513 is trying for.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The other young gentleman mentioned the type well before you (post #7 IIRC) but I'm not so sure it really matters or is of any real concern.

With that said though, I found your write-up to be quite nice overall. A tad revisionist regarding factual non-coin history perhaps, but certainly a nice effort.

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'm YN by spirit, does that count? lol

There are 10! (factorial) combinations for just 1 part of the rules...

Good luck!

10. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Ahh, i misunderstood then. :banghead:

11. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I was bored so what? :cool:
    Note: puns intended...
    Here's a 5 piece ASE (Ancient Silver Eagle) set: :smuggrin:

virtual collection.png
    Image and description courtesy from CNG

1. PTOLEMAIC KINGS of EGYPT. Ptolemy I Soter. 305-282 BC. AR Tetradrachm (28mm, 14.87 g, 12h). Alexandreia mint. Struck circa 300-285 BC. Diademed head right, wearing aegis around neck, tiny Δ behind ear / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠTOΛEMAIOY, eagle standing left on thunderbolt; monogram to left. Svoronos 201; SNG Copenhagen 48 corr. (Svoronos reference); BMC 50; Boston MFA –; Noeske 32 var. (same). EF, attractively toned, insignificant flan crack, some light deposits. Very rare early issue, none in CoinArchives.

2. PTOLEMAIC KINGS of EGYPT. Ptolemy IV Philopator. 222-205/4 BC. AR Tetradrachm (28mm, 13.72 g, 11h). Uncertain mint in Cyprus. Dated year 49 of an uncertain era (214/3 BC). Diademed head of Ptolemy I right, wearing aegis around neck / ΠTOΛEMAIOY ΣΩTHPOΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt; MΘ (date) across field. Svoronos 851; Mørkholm, Ptolemaic 19 (A5/P15 – this coin); SNG Copenhagen –; Noeske –; Seyrig, Trésors p. 29, 36 (same dies); DCA 73. Near EF, toned, double struck on reverse. Rare date.

3. Antioch. Septimius Severus, 193-211. Tetradrachm (Silver, 26mm, 12.99 g 12), 205-211. ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙ CΕΟΥΗΡΟC CΕ-Β Laureate head of Septimius Severus to right. Rev. ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞ ΥΠΑΤΟ Γ Eagle standing facing with spread wings, his head turned to right holding a wreath in his beak; held in his claws, leg and thigh of sacrificial animal. McAlee 659a. Prieur 200. A very attractive, well centered example. Nearly extremely fine.

4. SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Alexander I Balas, 152-145 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 29.5mm, 14.25 g 1), Tyre, year 164 = 149/148. Diademed and draped bust of Alexander Balas to right. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ / ΔΞΡ/ΗΡ Eagle, with closed wings and palm over its right shoulder, standing left on prow of galley; in field to left, Monogram of ΤΥΡ on handle of vertical club. Newell ANSNNM 73, 63 var. SC 1835.3/2 var. SNG Spaer 1830/29 var. Beautifully toned and well-struck. Good extremely fine.

5. SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Demetrios II Nikator. Second reign, 129-126/5 BC. AR Tetradrachm (27mm, 14.27 g, 12h). Tyre mint. Dated SE 186 (127/6 BC). Diademed and draped bust right / Eagle standing left on prow, palm frond behind; to left, club surmounted by Tyre monogram; to right, monogram above date; monogram between legs. SNG Spaer 2253-4. EF, lightly toned.

Why an ancient silver eagle collection? Well American eagles are a little boring to me... :D, and these tets are quite amazing.

The Ptolemy coinage have lots of great eagles, these first two are no exception. Number 1. is a key coin and will cost you the most :greedy::greedy::greedy:, but it will be worth it as it's an early issue with sharp details. If you like error coins then this 2nd piece is just for you as it depicts an eagle with a doubled head! (double eagle!) Who doesn't like a good Sep Sev? I didn't know he had eagles on some of his coins, so I tossed it in 'cause it's cool. Last two to wrap up this set are two Seleukid tetradrachms, the first of the two shows some excellent toning and is well struck. And last, this coin is loaded with monograms and is in great condition.

There, I know it's not along any of the rules but this idea has been cooking in my head for a while and I needed to get it out... :oops:

Kasia and brandon spiegel like this.
  12. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Haha ase, ancient silver eagle! =) i like the pun

Aidan_() likes this.
  13. Kasia

@Aidan_() Sometimes boredom can lead to good things. I like your presentation. Thank you so much for posting it here!

14. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

No problem, glad ya' like it. ;)

15. Kasia

YN prize will be a 1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar.

I will have pics up of it within a month or so.

16. Kasia

Here's the pics. DSC_0693.JPG DSC_0699.JPG

17. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

thats a nice walking liberty half! I would pair that coin with a standing liberty quarter and a Tavulu $1 silver coin that selebrates Adolph A. Weiman, who is the designer of the walking liberty half and the standing liberty quarter. This is because the walking liberty quarter is a coin that reflects classic american numismatics, it is a coin that a collector of any experience can appreciate, and has examples that can fit almost any collectors budget. In specifics I would include one from 1929 because that had a receded date, so even in low grades you can appreciate the date. Furthermore even in mint state grades nice examples can be found for less than $300. I would include the $1 Tuvalu silver coin that celebrates Adolph A Weiman because that coin adds a more modern appeal to numismatics. It also focuses more on the history of the designer and who he was by mentioning he was a coin designer, and a sculpture and it also mention how he was alive for. This coin is designed by Charles D. Daughtre who is staffed at moderncoinmart.com. I also like how that coin even thought it is a foreign coin mention the American Numismatic Association. I choose to have the standing liberty quarter on the left because it is the smallest, then the walking half because it is the second largest, then the modern coin because it is the largest at one troy ounce, adn it ties teh two previous coins together when a collector is looking at the set from left to right Also, the fact that the designer is staff at modern coin mart shows how an everyday person can make an impact on numismatics, giving new collectors a better idea at what they can realistically do with their passion for numismatic This three coin paring would be brought together to bring classic american numismatics, with modern foreign coins that were produced with cutting edge technology. Putting focus on the designer of the coin and his history, as opposed to the history itself

My sources are the 2016 redbook
    this thread
    http://www.coinworld.com/news/world...dolph-a--weinman-appears-on-latest-coin-.html - to learn about the modern coin
    I also conducted a yahoo search to find an image of the standing liberty quarter.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

I want to do a nice write-up for the YN prize but I have two 6,000 word essay's to do. LOL Maybe I can post my essay about Frederick Law Olmsted or the growing problem of homelessness in America in lieu of my post :rolleyes::banghead:

19. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

Looks like it’s worth pushing the papers off for a little bit to do this awesome contest and hopefully inspire someone to make this set that I put together LOL. I, of course, had to do my favorite denomination as my three-coin type set, the American Silver Dollar. I specifically chose to highlight on those of the 1800’s (excluding the draped bust) in order to put a set together that has GREAT eye appeal as well as having a modest price range that I personally believe that everyone should have in their collection. This type set would be perfect for a YN to put together. This whole set could be put together for under $200 if you know where to buy from and what to look for (not the exact dates on these specific coins in the pictures). I am unfortunately unable to take pictures of my coins to use as the pictures for this set because I am away at college and my set is back home. But the ones I chose represent great, circulated examples for everyone to look for if interested in making this set!

I’m going to explain a bit about these coins and the cool history behind them WITHOUT copy and pasting sentences from online, but rather referring to most of what I already know about them.

LIBERTY SEATED DOLLAR (1836-1873)

seated.png

Created by Christian Gobrecht, this denomination has a unique story behind it because it was the last silver dollar coin to be struck before the Coinage Act of 1873. This act ended the production of the silver dollar due to the rising silver prices. The act also reduced the weight of silver coins that were five cents or higher EXCEPT the dollar (which is what led to the end of its production). Because of the increase in trade overseas, the US changed to the Trade Dollar to make oversea exchanges more convenient, which is the next coin in this three-coin type set.

TRADE DOLLAR (1873-1878 circulation strikes)

trade.png

Created by William Barber, this coin was used in over sea trading and most of those produced were sent to China. A lot of these coins ended up being traded for UNDER the “trade dollar” value that they were worth. There was a debate before production of making these denominations valued up to $5 however, the $1 design was selected overall. This coin had a short lived life and production of the business strike ended in 1878 and was followed by my personal favorite, the Morgan Dollar.

MORGAN DOLLAR (1878-1921)

morg.png

Created by George Morgan, this coin became what it was thanks to the Bland-Allison Act which stated that the Treasury had to buy between two and four million dollars worth of silver at its market value which was to be turned into coinage, specifically, the Morgan Dollars. In 1890, a new Act arose, the Sherman Silver Purchase Act which stated that the Treasury needed to purchase 4,500,000 troy ounces each month. This lasted for three years until appealed and then in 1898, signed a bill that required ALL of the remaining silver from the Sherman Act to be converted into silver dollars. This was done until they ran out of silver in 1904. After they ran out, production was stopped until 1918 in which they decided to melt MILLIONS of silver dollars in order to produce more in 1921.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If any of this information is wrong, please correct me..! Most of it is from memory with little research. As I said before, this set has an amazing amount of history behind it and is a set the I believe every collector and YN should attempt to acquire!

Good luck to all who participated!

All photographs courtesy of: coinauctionshelp.com

-Kyle

Kasia likes this.
  20. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

My guess for the other contest (no specific order):

1933 St. Gaudens Double Eagle
    1861 Confederate States Half-Dollar
    1913 Liberty Head Nickel
    1873CC Seated Libery Dime NO ARROWS
    1895 Morgan Dollar
    1793 Chain Cent
    1794 Flowing Hair Dollar
    1880 Coiled Hair PROOF stella
    1854-S $5 Liberty
    1875 $5 Liberty

21. Kasia

K2Coins....

Both the 1895 Morgan Dollar and the 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar would work for my collection but leave out the others you mentioned

And students burn the midnight oil so I would suspect that you will be writing those two essays with an eye towards getting an A on those. This contest is deceptively difficult only because you have to guess the coins first and then come up with a display. I think great grades in college can be more valuable than any prize I put up here, but certainly there should be enough time to play this one.

K2Coins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted