Crazy group lot @Roma

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I had high apple pie in the sky hopes that my bid would win this one, but someone else spotted what I saw:

https://www.romanumismatics.com/249...s?auction_id=149&view=lot_detail&lot_id=87438

ZomboDroid 29072021154029.jpg

Got outbid by a resounding £100+ at the last second, which would have resulted in a final price of about $920 if my math is correct.

Not losing much sleep over it, but what a lot! I spot:
    - Tacitus AE quinarius (extremely rare)
    - Matching Aurelian + Severina denarii
    - Vaballathus as Augustus
    - Maximian/Galerius Caesar quinarius (extremely rare)
    - Carausius for Maximian

The rest sadly looked like more or less standard lot fare, which stayed my hand.

Any of you win this bad boy?

+VGO.DVCKS, Bing, NOS and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Dang, I knew someone would mention this lot!

I believe I was the underbidder, and put my largest bid ever (£500) on it. A bit disappointed I didn't get it, but never mind I guess.

I noticed the 5 coins you pointed out too, along with that rather nice Claudius II SPQR antoninianus. I think it also had a barbarous Decentius of Magnentius with fallen horseman reverse, although that may or may not just be a Constantine one.

Speaking of Decentius, that was the only way I managed to bid on this lot. I consigned my first ever coin to an auction house with this Roma auction, and it was the Decentius centenionalis (lot 1190)

https://www.romanumismatics.com/249-lot-1190-decentius-as-caesar-bi-centenionalis

It sold for a whopping £480 (not bad for a £12 spend on eBay), so I felt I might as well try and treat myself with that lot, but it was sadly not to be.

Incidentally, if another CoinTalk member did win my Decentius, please let me know! I'd be happy to hear it's going to a good home :)

+VGO.DVCKS, Clavdivs, Bing and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted