Crawford 4 (eagle pegasus ROMANOM aes signatum bar) added

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andrew McCabe, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

yeah I just added another aes signatum bar to my collection, actually the second example of this bar that I've owned:
    Cr4a.jpg

a small piece was chipped off my acquisition in ancient times but the legend ROMANOM and Pegasus remain fully visible (in parts, as a curate's egg). The British Museum bar, very similar to mine (note relative placement of final letter M and lower rear Pegasus legs), is shown below

Cr4b.jpg

Here's a picture of my other Crawford 4 aes signatum bar, superimposed on the BM bar. Common enough type if I have duplicates. Or perhaps not, today's new bar may be from the same original

Cr4c.jpg

The trick to identifying aes signatum bars from random aes rude is that they are always 10-12mm thick with flat (excepting the design) parallel sides

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Very nice, Andrew.

I saw that but between one thing and another missed the RR part of the Artemide auction, even on Day 2!

I'd been meaning to research it to see if I could match it to anything, but didn't get to it! A good buy.

ATB,
    Aidan.

rrdenarius likes this.
  4. sand

sand Well-Known Member

@Andrew McCabe That's a very interesting aes signatum, and interesting information. I like the patina, and the clarity of the letter "M".
    Here is my oldest Roman coin.
    2020_06_20_Janus_As_0_my_camera_obverse_1_rotated_2_degrees.JPG 2020_06_20_Janus_As_0_my_camera_reverse_1_rotated_5_degrees.jpg
    Anonymous AE As. 211 BC To 206 BC. Rome Mint. Sear 627. Diameter 32.0 mm. Weight 36.69 grams. Obverse Janus With "I" Above. Reverse Ship's Prow With "I" Above.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    PeteB, rrdenarius, octavius and 4 others like this.
  5. PMah

PMah Member

Good spotting! The tech hiccup they experienced move the Republic to the wee hours in NYC, although they did reopen pre-bidding and I salvaged something.
    Your excercise gives me hope to more precisely ID a ramo secco bar third-ish that I suspect might be more than that.

rrdenarius and red_spork like this.
  6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great catch Andrew! That piece was on my watch list also and the glitch meant I missed the RR portion of the sale. I did not put the M and bar together. I did see another M that looked similar. It was on Haberline's Table 98; #5 & 7. T98 is the Falsche page. Both are too small to be your piece.
    DSCN5850 - Copy.JPG
    Another coin I was watching was an overstrike of Syracuse, Hiketas II, Zeus / Eagle. I like two faced coins.
    sicily-syracuse-hiketas-ii-overstruck ArtAst 10.30.2021.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted