Crater in Lake Huron

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by KarlB, Apr 15, 2017.

1. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

Searching through quarters for my State/National Parks quarter collections, I came across this 2004-P Michigan State quarter. I asked several individuals what they thought might have caused this error, and the consensus was 'a strike-through.'

Further research, using Alan Herbert's MINTING VARIETIES AND ERRORS fifth edition, resulted in my categorizing this coin as an INCLUDED GAS BUBBLE PLANCHET.

If anybody has other/more thoughts, please share them with me.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@KarlB

It appears that the copper core is only visible in the wall of the recess, and I can only conclude that the bottom of the recess is actually the clad layer from the obverse of the coin. Interesting!

Chris

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Not sure if this is it, but it would be called a blow hole .

KarlB likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can we see a picture of the Obverse side of your Quarter?

6. Somaodio

Somaodio New Member

Being from the Great State of Michigan I can tell you that you've got quite a find there! If it's not just somebody foiling around with the coin. Unrelated, but I laugh to think if a crater was to hit that spot I would be long gone. Keep it! I think it's a cool find..... or I'll trade you a shiny BU Michigan P for it :)

KarlB likes this.
  7. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

This is my guess too. I will try a different angle shot. The copper does not show all around the interior.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

Out running errands. Will shoot the obverse when we get home. Originally I debated about shooting the obverse and decided not to because there was nothing 'exciting'.

Rick Stachowski and paddyman98 like this.
  9. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

I have circled approximately where the 'crater' is on the obverse.

Also, it almost looks as if George has a 'doubled' tip of the nose. I used a 40x loupe and cannot really see any doubling. I included a picture using a filter which really shows off the nose area.

Attached Files:

Paul M. and paddyman98 like this.
  10. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

Here are a couple more shots of the 'crater'. On the floor of the crater is a line. I cannot tell what it is (40x loupe), other than 'straight', and there is depth/dimension, so possibly metal from Lake Huron?

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Somaodio

Somaodio New Member

The Red arrows(again sorry PS work) I have indicated look like a 'Bubbling'. Looks like a chemical process going on? Lake Huron Crater Quater Closeup2.JPG Lake Huron Crater Quater Closeup.JPG
    Strange...

The inner crater itself looks like it has a die crack running over it and is for the most part very smooth. I really like this coin the more I look at it.

Happy Easter Everyone!

12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Is the "crater" raised or recessed? If it's recessed, and the area displays mint luster, then you're looking at a strike through. If it's raised, I would be inclined to go with the gas bubble inclusion theory, because the only other thing that makes sense is a honkin' big die dent.

13. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

The walls of the crater are concave
    Yeah, lots going on with this quarter. And I like it more and more.

It's hard to capture everything going on, with the camera. We just got the macro lens so I am still learning to shoot 'close in'. Depth of field is really difficult.

I have a clashed die, doubling on the obverse 1919 Buffalo Nickel that I will submit once I can get good pictures. Now THAT is a beautiful coin.

14. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

No, definitely not a strike-through because the walls of the crater are concave, like a balloon that is missing a surface, allowing the interior to be exposed.

Draft saved Draft deleted