"Crap" Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by yakpoo, Aug 28, 2019.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Does anyone specialize in what we kids used to refer to as "Crap" coins? ...coins minted from 1965 to 1974?

The reason I ask is that (a while back) I wasted a chunk of my life searching for the elusive Type-B (proof) reverse on Denver minted quarters from 1969-1972. I read where some used proof dies were mistakenly sent to Denver in those years (MM having been moved to the Obverse). Apparently, some of these quarters exist, but I've never see one and have bought/searched hundreds of rolls looking for one...nada.

The net result of all this is that I have hundreds of rolls of 1969-1972 quarters (aka. "Crap" coins). Most of the quarters were bag quarters that were later rolled (MS62-MS64). However, about 25-30 of them are spectacular (MS68?). I squirreled them away.

Will these years always be "Crap" coins or do you think they have a future?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

@cladking is the person you are seeking.

And I don't think he'll love you calling them "crap coins" :p

Also, some of these dates are very difficult to find in high grades. However, the market in many cases does not seem to value the coins (unless it's the absolute top population coin where registry set players are battling for it). Will anything change in the modern market?...that is the million dollar question. :D

johnmilton likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The dates you mention are 1965 to 1974. If they haven't increased in value by now they never will.

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Over the years, I've noticed that (generally) coins jump in numismatic value around the 70 year mark (give or take a few years). That seems to hold true for silver coins, anyway.

Coins from the '40s have seen their initial pop so early '50s coins should be next. I remember a time when you couldn't give away Mercury Dimes minted in the 1940's. Coins in the '50s and '60s were hoarded in greater numbers, which may dampen prices. A spike in Silver and another "great melt" might help.

My apologies to CladKing for the title, but it has a meaning. I've also noticed that coins considered to be "crap" coins tend to circulate more and not hoarded in great numbers. I wonder if coins minted between 1965-1974 will fall into this category and ultimately "outshine" their older silver siblings.

It may be 2035-2045 before we'll know how these sandwich coins fare. I suspect that now may be a good time to pick up some high grade examples just in case fewer high grade examples survive.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Most of these prices are quite low. Three or four times face is considered "good" for most dates. 1967 quarters go for $155 a roll and the wholesale prices of Ikes now has gotten up to $60 a roll but there are no stars.

Of course I shouldn't let these prices bother me because there's still no market because there are no rolls. No rolls mean no buyers and no sellers. Prices are set by a moribund market where the few traders each know exactly what to expect when they get buy coins and a few unmotivated sellers. Of course it's like this because there is no demand from the coin market for something like a 1974 quarter in any grade (other than MS-67). The buyers put together sets of "crap" to sell on TV to very unsophisticated collectors when they can get the coins but they'll happily buy anything; even clad rolls.

The situation is unsustainable because it can only be perpetuated until collectors wake up and realize these are US coins and they're pretty much all worn out in circulation or tarnished in unwanted and unloved mint sets after all these years.

Eventually, I believe, these coins will do exceedingly well because both there are so few and because most of them are terrible. A nice attractive lustrous '74 quarter was never common since about 1974 and now is rather elusive.

It breaks my heart to do it but I've been selling off my clad due to age. But I'll always believe these junky coins have enormous potential. I just got in way too early and now I'm getting out too early.

TopcatCoin, LakeEffect and yakpoo like this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The three troubles with the "crap coins" you started this string with are (1) high mintages for many of them (2) very minor differences when it comes to die varieties that are touted to be good. and (3) the eyss of many collectors glaze over (including me) when you talk about clad coins.

Maybe these pieces will have a future with new generations of collectors, but that depends upon how many new collectors we can muster. Even if we get the collectors, the mintage factor is still there. The main thing that could put them over the top is condition rarity, and that is Cladking's point. At any rate you won't be getting any big bucks from me for these coins.

LakeEffect likes this.
  8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I agree with your views...and, like you, I won't live long enough to reach the "Clad Promised Land", either. However, it may be a good time to cherry-pick OBW rolls to save for the grandkids...or their kids.

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Quite possibly. But not in your lifetime.

PlanoSteve and LakeEffect like this.
  10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

more like 'meh coins' - album fillers but otherwise unexceptional & not a priority for most collectors - maybe you can get a premium on eBay, but fees & shipping will make it a low profit transaction

Draft saved Draft deleted