Craigslist

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Birdman#33, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Birdman#33

Birdman#33 Member

Over the past two years I have bought coins and currency off of Craigslist. Most people don't know what they have and their asking price (from what I have found) is typically a decent deal. Some people need the money and just want to unload their collections. I have had several experiences of buying silver coins for under melt. Only once did I have a problem, but that was corrected ASAP.

Do you believe that Craigslist is a good place to get coins at the right price?

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I have found the opposite. I typically see asking prices that are way too high.

Hiddendragon, Endeavor and furham like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When it comes to coins, I've found that Craigslist is not a very safe place to do business. If the OP is having good luck, he should consider himself lucky.

Chris

dwhiz and Endeavor like this.
  5. Birdman#33

Birdman#33 Member

I have found some of those too and I stay away from it. The one thing I kind of like is that most people have some wiggle room in their prices.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It's a great place to make dangerous friends.

Endeavor and coinman1234 like this.
  7. Birdman#33

Birdman#33 Member

My dealings are only for a few hundred per purchase which I do in a very public setting. Luckily I have not encountered these dangerous people.

8. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

There was a CL ad from someone relatively near me that was selling off an entire collection (decades or more). Tons of silver, lots of currency, asking price was $10K. I took the time to talk it over with my wife before contacting the seller, suggesting that for the price I wanted to pay for an appraisal, and would he be okay with that. He said I was too late, the collection had already sold, and the actual buyer had already had an appraisal done, and it came in at $32K!

9. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

I've found the only thing CL is good for is local pawn shops spamming the site with overpriced coins or using coin keywords in unrelated ads.

10. RegisG

RegisG Member

When buying or selling anything on CL, I meet at bank because of good security camera. Of course you can only trade things that are small/portable that way.

11. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

So I should tell my courier company to stop hauling this into my local credit union lobby for review by a potential buyer I found through Craigslist?

[​IMG]

12. miedbe7

And I should probably unlist my other CL ad ... not too sure it'd be safe in my local bank lobby ...

[​IMG]

13. RegisG

RegisG Member

Coin or the pretty lady?

14. miedbe7

15. carly

carly Member

After reading this thread I had to go look at my local Craigslist ads. The only coin for sale was a 1944 Mercury, circulated, for $5000. Maybe you live in a better area than I do.

RegisG likes this.
  16. Birdman#33

Birdman#33 Member

Maybe it is just me, but I have bought a lot of junk silver coins for under melt value.

17. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

To the OP: One day buying coins on craigslist will come back to smack you in the face and you'll be in for a big loss. If you're having luck... Well that's impossible when buying coins on craigslist.

Draft saved Draft deleted