Craigslist find

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by no_cents, Feb 20, 2015.

1. EagleEyez

EagleEyez Hoarding coinage since 1974

Probably true, Tommy. I think the product is called 'Nik-a Date' or something along those lines. Though, even when disclosing something like that upon sale, I would expect a low bid and a great likelyhood that it would be flipped for profit without disclosure. Personally, my tastes lean against ANY type of alteration, PMD, even dipping. This, of course makes some of the classic series much more of a challenge...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Just use white vinegar on the dateless buffs, one to three days on average for most of these, expect the surface to be smoothed-out some when you're done. BTW, you're making me feel right at home, I think they're all negotiators. :D

no_cents and EagleEyez like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'm a little puzzled where all the predictors of doom with a Craigslist deal are on this thread. The amounts involved are similar but no one has suggested the seller might be out to steal your $200. :)

On another Craigslist thread with a seller instead of a buyer all manner of mayhem was predicted. :)

no_cents likes this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Lol... well, usual Craigslist precautions should apply, of course. Deal locally, meet at a neutral location, use cash. I mean, mostly it's common sense, given that CL doesn't have, say, eBay's level of protection in case of a transaction gone wrong.

no_cents likes this.
  6. no_cents

no_cents Member

Sorry for the amateur hour quality photos. Hasty setup of the microscope and first time using one. Here's just a few of the coins.

BTW, if you have any tips for the photos, please let me know. I'm just using a cheapo microscope from amazon, Plugable 2.0 200x.

Attached Files:

7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Redbook shows large and small mint mark varieties of the 1928-S quarter, but does not price them separately. Mint mark on your coin looks huge.

no_cents likes this.
  8. no_cents

no_cents Member

Attached Files:

9. doug5353

Maybe more correct to say heavy and mis-shapen, rather than huge, but an interesting variety in any case.

no_cents likes this.
  10. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

Sometimes heavy or misshapen implies an alteration to the coin, doesn't it? Meaning someone added a mint mark to a Philadelphia (no mint mark) coin in order to increase the value? I'm not saying that's what is going on here, just trying to see if my memory from earlier threads is correct...

no_cents likes this.
  11. doug5353

If anyone added the "S," which I sincerely doubt, they made the hardest +$2 of their life, and that's $2 at most. That said, many years ago at a Florida coin show, I did see the "S" fall off a 1909-S-VDB. :wideyed:

no_cents likes this.
  12. no_cents

no_cents Member

That must have been so awesome...haha

13. doug5353

I was about 12 years old, in the company of two faithful and expert mentors in the Clearwater Coin Club, whose names I will publish in the hopes their grandchildren or great-grandchildren will see them: Leo LeSan and Doug Brown. Everybody was down on their hands and knees looking for the fugitive "S". I wasn't the finder.

no_cents likes this.
  14. no_cents

no_cents Member

Here's (what I think) are better shots of one of the Morgans as well as some additional war nickels thrown into the lot. What do you think of the Morgan?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted