Cracks and fills in dates and mint marks errors?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Geekstrosity, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Geekstrosity

Geekstrosity New Member

I've recently started looking for errors. noticed some cracks in Lincoln head and filled dates and mint marks. are these "errors"? is there any market for them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

got a pics of these coins to show us ? :snaphappy:

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, they are fun to collect, interesting to study, cost virtually nothing and are sought after by many roll hunters. Some call this part of our hobby "micro-numismatics. Will it make you rich? Absolutely not. Try and sell one just to see. However, it will possibly add years of enjoyment to your life.

In the 1960's there was a paperback book published by a man named Spadone (sp?) mostly filled with oddities and micro varieties like this.

Geekstrosity, tommyc03 and cpm9ball like this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Technically, yes....as they're unintended, but generally speaking, they're so common and insignificant it renders them meaningless.

As for any "market" for them, unless one wishes to fluff them into being something they're not, no... not really.

paddyman98, cpm9ball and Geekstrosity like this.
  6. Geekstrosity

Geekstrosity New Member

Thank you very much

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You're very welcome. It was a perfectly reasonable question, and asking is how we learn. Welcome to the forum.

Geekstrosity likes this.
  8. Geekstrosity

Geekstrosity New Member

I'll have to wait till later

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Common error/variety with not much premium
    This is from the NGC website - quote "NGC does not attribute as varieties coins that display Strike Doubling, Abrasion Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, Master Die Doubling (doubling that is found on all coins made produced from that master die), insignificant die chips, breaks, cracks or any variety coin that falls under mint tolerances for doubling or normal die wear." closed quote
    I want to share this webpage with you - https://www.ngccoin.com/variety/

Geekstrosity likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted