Cracked the mystery...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Omegaraptor, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

About three years ago, I attended a coin show for the first time and looked through the pile of free coins you can pick at the door. There were many various world coins in there, however, I noticed a small bronze coin that looked ancient. I had no idea what it was, but I picked it because ancient coins were intriguing to me. There seemed to be little detail on the coin.

Today, I pulled out the coin and realized that there was more detail than I thought. I saw a barley stalk and some letters circling it. After some researching, the three year mystery finally came together:

3C4A975C-B730-4BBC-A040-F6F3BA4B8B60.jpeg D1C49120-B2BD-472C-8F80-A60F6E2501AA.jpeg

Roman Procurators / Judea, Ambibulus under Augustus, Year 39 (9 AD)

AE Prutah, 16mm

Obv: Single barley stalk encircled with words KAICA POC (of Caesar)

Rev: Eight-branched palm tree with two bunches of dates reading L - AQ

The coin actually does seem to have some value, but you can’t beat free, can you? :D

I had this coin and didn’t even know what it was for three years until my sight for coins sharpened and my knowledge grew.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a nice coin and a better story. I am always amazed at the new things I discover when I look at my coins.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Glad you got it figured out!

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow...good choice picking and job figuring it out...one of those "stays on the back of your mind" deals..:)

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a great point. Knowing what you are looking for makes seeing it easier. That is why we suggest viewing and handling as many coins as we can. ju0158bb3273.jpg

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's one of Porcius Festus with a similar palm frond:

Porcius Festus.jpg
    Porcius Festus, Procurator under Nero, AD 59-62.
    Roman provincial Æ Prutah, 2.51 g, 16.2 mm.
    Judea, Caesarea, AD 58-59.
    Obv: NЄPѠNOC in 3 lines, surrounded by wreath.
    Rev: Palm branch surrounded by KAICAPOC, LЄ (year 5).
    Refs: Hendin 653; Meshorer TJC 345.

Draft saved Draft deleted