Crack The Dealer Price Code

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Agilmore01, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

So as I cruised the coin show last weekend and asked dealers for prices on certain coins, most tended to refer to their sticker on the back which had a secret price code known only to them. My grandpa put one on the back of each 2x2 flip ro remember the price he paid and the date when he bought it. His was very simple: each letter stood for a number such as A=1, B=2, etc. So he may have EC on one, which meant he paid $53.

There are some crazy codes I have seen out there. I am sure many are unique to each dealer, but what kind of codes have you seen out there. What do you use that works? I personally list a set 6-7 numbers, and put the paid price in the middle. 5417363 would mean I paid $173. Can you crack the dealer codes?

swamp yankee and silentnviolent like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The most common is a ten letter word with no repeated letters. Easy to remember your word and substitute the letters for numbers. Pretty elementary cryptography to study the letter codes and starting with guessing some letters (0,1,2 and 5 should be easy to get) all you need is a good vocabulary to fill in the blanks. You can then read that dealer's letter code,and some words are common among many dealers.

4. Agilmore01

Can you give an example? I can't seem to wrap my head around your explanation.

5. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

One dealer I know uses the word (as a hopeful outcome ;))

PROFITABLY

Agilmore01 likes this.
  6. Ken Walker

Ken Walker Member

Think of a Town or State with 10 different letters, so the first letter is (1) and the last (0) then any combination = price paid
    Still won't make the coins cheaper even if you crack the code.

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. Agilmore01

Ok, I get this. You just have to be good at remembering your numbers that match your letters.

8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

The phrase "Extra Coins" contains 10 different letters; works for me...sometimes I add a Y or Z just to confuse people.
    0 e
    1 x
    2 t
    3 r
    4 a

5 c
    6 o
    7 i
    8 n
    9 s

aoysc = $46.95

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  9. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I will sometimes throw Greek Delta's ,Theta's & Omega's into my code to throw people off. I use a few different numbers as repeaters too.

silentnviolent and Agilmore01 like this.
  10. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Sometimes I use egyptian hieroglyphics and Maya script to throw people off

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Sometimes I just throw people off.

Don't go on a ship with me.

Amanda Varner, Hommer, dwhiz and 13 others like this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

To be honest, I really don't care what code a dealer uses. All that matters to me is whether or not his asking price is fair for that particular coin.

Chris

13. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

In my circle of dealer's that I wholesale with it's kind of an inside joke/task that some of us try to figure out what they or I paid for items. I really don't want them in particular to know & they feel the same way . I don't worry about the public & codes .

14. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

an interesting way in breaking the code

but I bet that each dealer may have their own method in coding their price(s), I dont know really

15. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

Cuneiform?

Rob

Amanda Varner likes this.
  16. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

17. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Elliptic curve algorithm.

18. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I use "chamber pot" as my code because it has ten unique letters. C is zero. If I ever sell a coin you will know what I paid for it.

19. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Why is there a need for a code?

20. coin_analyst

coin_analyst Member

I keep inventory on my tablet and can look it up if need be. I don't like cluttering holders with stickers. I leave that to CAC. :happy:

21. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

If you know what someone paid for something, you have a leg up in negotiating. If the other guy is a good haggler, or just plain obstinate, then it doesn't help.

Rob

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted