Crack it out....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ruben, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Ruben

Ruben Member

So I have recently acquired an 1866 IHC, (ANACS vg / details), I want it in the book. My question is, what's the best way to crack it out of it's holder? Hammer? Plyers?? Bandsaw? Any suggestions ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I just use a hammer and gently tap around the edges, all the way around. You will see when the seal cracks. Then it will pull apart. Don't hit too hard.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

For ANACS holders if you find the seem on the back you can basically just pull the back panel off on a lot of them. Yes I have opened them by hand before. Some are harder than others and you might need to use something to pop a corner up so you can get more leverage.

The hammer method always works too

5. Saphire7

Saphire7 contenial congress member

hot nail. may take a while. guess

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No! Never use anything hot near a coin. wow that is so wrong! :facepalm:

Oldhoopster and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. Ruben

Ruben Member

Thank you all for your suggestions!

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Most convenient and safe way I saw was a thread posted I believe by @lordmarcovan ....... He placed his slab between the cracks on his porch and rocked the holder back and forth until it cracked.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep, @paddyman98 linked to it above. I won't claim it's the best method, but it's quick, fairly easy, and relatively safe for both coin and human.

And not even "back and forth". No rocking. Just one push in one direction. *Crack*

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I like a bench vice. Put the slab in with the edges against the jaws of the vice and give it a turn. Pops right open.

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I actually find the newer ANACs holders to be the easiest to crack. As always just be careful snap-1-2.jpg of the coin inside.

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Be advised: usually cracking the coin out of the holder will reduce its value because US coins cannot support their own values without a slab.

TheFinn likes this.
  14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

A pair of Side cuts.

Or as us Hillbillies refer to them-
    A pair of wah-r-cutters

15. Randy Abercrombie

Hey y’all... I resemble that remark!

16. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Can't call them dykes anymore, right?

17. Randy Abercrombie

I won’t call them dykes anymore. Five years ago I had a fishing lure embedded in my ear (insert chuckle here)... I couldn’t get it out so I went to the doctors care place. Lady doctor numbed me up and tried to cut the hook without success. I asked her, may I have the dykes? She just didn’t have the arm strength. She looked stunned and started to admonish me for being disrespectful. My fishing buddy laughed and told her... Ma-am he is asking for the tool in your hands.

18. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

This tool heeya > 20181118_204144.jpg
    Is actually my favorite to crack slabs with. These aint dykes- these is a plastic trimmer. Cats meow, to cut blue outlet boxes with too.
    Unfortunately they aint in my tool bag no mo, they turned into community art & crafts cutters currently stored in the junk drawer

Draft saved Draft deleted