Crabby Cassius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carausius, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

roman410obv.jpg roman410rev.jpg

Rome, The Republic.
    C. Cassius and M. Servilius, 42 BCE.
    Mint travelling with Brutus and Cassius (likely Sardis).
    AR Denarius (2.89g - chipped; 19mm).
    Obv: C CA[SSEI IMP]; Laureate head of Libertas, facing right.
    Rev: [M SER]VILIVS – LEG; Crab holding aplustre in claws; untied diadem headband and rose below.
    References: Crawford 505/3; HCRI 226; Sydenham 1313 (R8); BMCRR (East) 84; Cassia 19.

I don’t typically buy severely damaged coins, but recently I couldn’t resist this chipped example of an interesting, highly-symbolic and very rare coin! This type comprised part of the final series of coins struck in the name of Cassius, lead conspirator against Julius Caesar, probably at Sardis in Summer, 42 BCE. It celebrates Cassius’ victory over the fleet of Rhodes in the waters off Kos. The crab shown on the reverse is emblematic of Kos, as depicted on Kos coins from early times, and the crab holds an aplustre in its claws symbolic of Cassius’ naval victory. The untied, regal headband beneath the crab recalls an offer of kingship made by the defeated Rhodians to Cassius, who rejected the offer. That story is told in Plutarch’s biography of Brutus. The rose is emblematic of Rhodes, and frequently depicted on Rhodian coins. Shortly after his victory over the Rhodians, Cassius met-up with his co-conspirator Brutus in Sardis, where this coin was likely struck.

The crab motif on this coin was well selected for more than just its Kos symbolism. Cassius was considered a competent general but a harsh, mean and self-interested man – basically a bit “crabby”. While Brutus’s renowned virtue afforded him some degree of respect from his Caesarian enemies, Cassius seemed universally disliked and was given no such break. Perhaps for that reason, we see Brutus' image on the EID MAR coins as an inspiration to the conspirators' troops, but we have no similar depictions of Cassius. Within just a few months of producing this coin, Cassius’ troops were defeated by Antony at Philippi and he committed suicide on his own birthday, October 3, 42 BCE.

Marcus Servilius struck this final coinage on behalf of Cassius. Servilius was tribune in 44 BCE and was respected by Cicero. After Caesar’s assassination, he served in the east as a Legatus under both Cassius and Brutus, and he struck coins for both men. He was likely related to Brutus, whose mother’s name was Servilia. Legati were staff members of military commanders, on whose recommendation they were appointed by the Senate. Legati often served as deputies for their commanders, but practically exercised no independent authority. For example, a Legatus had no independent authority to strike coinage, and did so based solely on the imperium of the commander for whom he served – thus we see the names of both the Legatus and his commander on this coin.

Share your crab coins, Kos coins, Rhodian coins, or coins of "crabby" Romans.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

That's a fantastic coin even with the chip. I would love to own it. A very historically significant piece. Congrats.

Carausius likes this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Congrats! That's a type where I'd absolutely buy a chipped example as well. My only relevant coin is my Cassius, an earlier issue, likely from the meeting of Brutus and Cassius at Smyrna:

Cr500.5-1200px.jpg The Liberators, AR denarius(19mm, 3.71 g, 6h). Gaius Cassius Longinus, Imperator with Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther, Legate, late 43-early 42 B.C., military mint with Cassius and Brutus, possibly Smyrna. Head of Libertas right, wearing veil and diadem; before, LEIBERTAS upwards; behind, C•CASSI•IMP updwards. Border of dots / Jug and lituus; below, LENTVLVS SPINT in two lines. Border of dots. Crawford 500/5; Sear HCRI 223.

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice writeup and a great historical coin. I would love to add a coin like that to my collection. I have been looking for the right Cassius for over a year. I have had no luck so far, but I will keep looking.

I also have an irregular coin with a historical figure. In my case it is a coin of Sulla.

Sulla denaroius new.jpeg

L.Sulla. 84-83 BC. AR Denarius

(3.34 g).

Obv: Diademed head of Venus right; cupid with long palm branch before

Rev: Capis and lituus between two trophies.

Cr359/2; Syd 761; Cornelia 30

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very neat!

Carausius likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool coin, chip n all...i've tried to score a Cassius but so far no coin.. i did buy an antique book by another Longinus while looking for one tho:smug:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Carausius likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I couldn't agree more!

Carausius likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice @Carausius ! Regardless of chips (which never bother me), that is a great Historical coin and has a wonderful strike.

CRABS:
    Sicily Akragas AE Onkia 16mm 3.8g 425-406 BCE Eagle r fish fly - Crab conch SNG ANS 1062 var.JPG
    Sicily Akragas AE Onkia 16mm 3.8g 425-406 BCE Eagle r fish fly - Crab conch SNG ANS 1062 var

Apollonia Pontica Thrace AR Diobol 1-3g 410-323 BCE Apollo-Anchor crab A Tupalov 56.JPG
    Apollonia Pontica Thrace AR Diobol 1-3g 410-323 BCE Apollo-Anchor crab A Tupalov 56
    (More like a crawdaddy to me!)

CASSIUS:
    upload_2018-3-19_7-22-58.png
    RR Gaius Cassius Longinus & P Corn Lentulus Spinther AR den 42 BCE military mint Brutus Cassius Smyrna Libertas r- jug & lituus 18mm 3.3g

10. Carausius

Agree!

Alegandron likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'd take that damaged coin in a heartbeat! What a great "story coin" :)

Carausius likes this.
  12. Carausius

Re-reading my post, it suddenly struck me that if our missed friend, Steve X6, were still here, he'd have likely posted this in reponse:

p176_p_v8_aa-1.jpg

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Would love to have a coin from Kos, I vacationed there two years ago.

Alegandron and Carausius like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a great type, super history, and happily the break did not affect Libertas' head- that's neat how it goes all around it but does nothing more than trim her hair a little.

Here's my sole crabby ancient to date. I want another Akragas crab- in fact, I'd love to find another (slightly nicer but not too nice and therefore expensive) example of this type with the ketos on it. I can't afford an Akragas tetradrachm, most likely- but boy, I've always had a thing for those crabs, for some reason. (On coins, anyway. I don't like wading around them or eating them.)

Sicily, Akragas: silver hemidrachm, ca. 410-406 BC

Obverse- eagle right, clutching dead hare in its talons, barley grain behind.
    Reverse- Crab, with ketos below, swimming left with fish in its jaws.

16 mm, 1.8 g. SNG ANS 1012. Ex-Gitbud-Naumann, Germany, through VCoins store, 5/28/2014.

[​IMG]

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

PS- I had to Google "aplustre", so there's another vocabulary word for the day. :)

Carausius likes this.
  16. Carausius

Yes, it is broken in the "right" places; devices are mostly untouched, just the legends impacted. Sadly, I believe the damage is modern, because the metal appears freshly exposed (and crystalized). Likely a dealer or collector dropped it. I imagine they dropped some F-bombs at the same time.

Alegandron likes this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Cool coin, damage and all. It's the first time I've seen the type.

Carausius likes this.
  18. Carausius

Sydenham's rarity ratings hold-up pretty well today, with the occasional exception of interim hoards turning a rarity into a mere scarcity (i.e. Cassius tripod types). This coin is an R8 in Sydenham. For comparison, many coins that we'd consider scarce in the marketplace are R4 or R5.

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted