Cpg wow wth

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Nov 8, 2020.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Okay , it's been a while since I posted. And as a coin collector and a member of the the coin collector community and a new . I know we we all use plenty of different reference guides and reference points . everybody bar none uses the Cherry picker's guide. I haven't met a single collector that does not use the Cherry pickers guide. now albeit I understand how hard it is to get books but can't somebody tell me why is this book going for $over $200 can somebody tell me why the Cherry pickers guide has gotten so expensive???

https://www.amazon.com/Cherrypicker...he+cherrypicker's+guide&qid=1604842682&sr=8-5

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Because it's in demand and some sellers want to take advantage of that.
    But it's one thing to list it at that price; it's another to sell it at that price.

A quick look and I can find them listed for about $15 each.

QuintupleSovereign likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Uh... I don't use the CPG. I find its numbering system frustrating (I honestly don't know which is worse, the old numbering system or the new one that they went to to try to make it make more sense), I find the books use limited (it only has certain varieties, not all of them), I find it is more often out of date than not (a website can quickly update with new varieties), and I find the long-out-of-print and hard-to-obtain nature of the book off-putting.

What I do use is the CONECA website maintained by James Wiles: http://varietyvista.com/index.htm

It's free. It's updated regularly. And it's numbering system makes sense.
    It does reference CPG numbers when appropriate, but it has so much more information than CPG does.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't pay that when I have Variety Vista, Wexler and Copper coins.
    But if anyone is willing to pay the price. I will sell mine for $175.:p:D

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

If the supply has gone down and demand remains the same it creates a shortage and the price increases.
    [​IMG]

The current edition of CPG has not had a print run recently in anticipation for the new edition. The new edition was officially scheduled to be released in ?august?, but the date has been pushed back to sometime in the next ?6 months?. Spending $200 on a soon-to-be obsolete reference book would be a bad financial decision.

Inspector43 and kaosleeroy108 like this.
  7. kaosleeroy108

0oooo by no means do I ever intend to spend $200 on a book that is very very modern but what I will do is laugh at all the suckers that do

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

I have a cherrypicker guide myself rarely use it for anything unless I feel it's called for then I'll use it

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have been collecting for over 70 years and have never even seen a copy of the Cherry Pickers Guide.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

When The CPG came out it was a major upgrade from this.
    http://varietyvista.com/CONECA Master Listings.htm
    Even if the book wasn't complete with all variety listing it was a major all in 1 upgrade.

11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Me neither; but not 70 years yet. My son once bought me a copy of the Nose Pickers Guide for my birthday.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I don't use CPG because my collecting interest now centers on US coins before the Liberty Seated series.
    But I did have both Vol 1 and 2 about 10-15 years ago and Vol 1 paid it's way.
    I had an 1858 FE that turned out to be an 1858/7.
    About a $1000 or so profit.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I bought the CPG 5th Edition Volumes I & II when they were first released for $35 each. Granted, the CPG does not cover all varieties, but that wasn't a bad price at the time.

ldhair likes this.
  14. kaosleeroy108

Link me please

15. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I almost never look at raw U.S. coins, so the CPG wouldn’t help me there. And I’m not much interested in varieties except for major ones, which TPGs put on the label anyway. I did use my copy of CPG one time and bought a less common variety of a two cent coin in a PCGS holder. Had it recertified with variety and sold it. My CPG is a collector too … dust.

Cal

wxcoin likes this.
  16. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

The chart reminds me of my economics prof he could make a chart for passing gas.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I started buying the CPG when it first came out. We didn't have all the cool information on the net that we have today. I have most of the editions. Probably won't buy the 6th Edition.

18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I don't need a chart for that!:doctor:

johnyb and Mountain Man like this.
  19. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

I disagree about the use of the numbering system-I find it to be simple, straightforward, and very easy to use. I also think a distinct minority of collectors use it, tho. Variety Vista will suffice for most everyone else. The nice thing is that it highlights the best varieties. Vista has many more and better images. I got my copy of the latest 1/2c-05c for free because of my help assisting with the composition of the book. It wouldn't be for sale at anything less than a grand.

21. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Just make sure you knew what you ate.

Draft saved Draft deleted