CPG, 5th Edition, Volume II

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cpm9ball, Sep 13, 2010.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It was only a few years ago that it seemed like everyone was bad-mouthing JT Stanton about the release of the CPG, 4th Edition, Vols. I & II, when they had prepaid and it wasn't released as scheduled. Some of the people didn't care that he was dealing with health issues at the time which eventually led to the sale of the rights for the book to Whitman Publishing.

Now, I wonder why these same people aren't complaining about Whitman? When was the last time you heard of a big corporation being physically ill and unable to put out their product? It's been about two years since the 5th Edition, Volume I, was released, and Whitman has not made any attempt to give all of the variety collectors even the vaguest idea when Volume II would be released. Oh sure, that's fine and dandy for the cent and nickel variety enthusiasts, but what about the dime, quarter, half dollar and dollar collectors? Where is Volume II for us?

I sent an e-mail to Whitman asking them about it. I received a prompt reply from a Michelle Green, and she told me that a mid-to-late 2011 release was "planned". If only these same complainers had voiced their displeasure with Whitman over the last two years, maybe we would have had it by now.

I'm contemplating sending Whitman a "Get Well Soon" card.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its a good point, but have people prepaid for the 5th Vol II? Maybe that is the difference, that orders haven't been accepted and money paid out.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. I know how fristrating it can be waiting for a book. Sear has been about 2 years overdue on RCV 4 now and counting.

4. cpm9ball

No, Whitman wasn't taking prepayment for either volume, but what good is half a set particularly when you need the quarter, half & dollar info.

Chris

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

One thing to consider , is the fact that this is now a Digital World. Many periodicals are weighing in on the cost's associated with publishing in " hard copy " as opposed to online services . Now I know that this is off topic , but it is a point to consider. If the requests or pre-paid numbers just aren't there, the cost's associated with the actual printing are not warranted. I feel your pain though, but perhaps if that next volume does not go to printing, it will probably make your printed copy of Vol.I more sought after . Just a thought.

6. medoraman

I understand Chris, I was just saying that maybe people were mad before since they were out the money and the volume wasn't delivered. Now, they aren't out any money. I know its frustrating to wait when they blow their deadline, I was just thinking of a reason why more people this time aren't mad.

7. cpm9ball

I wasn't venting my frustration at your expense. I just wish Whitman would get off their butts and let it go to press. I attended one of the seminars at FUN 2008 in which JT gave a presentation on behalf of Whitman with a preview of some of the new additions. If they (Whitman) already have all of the inclusions, what are they waiting for?

Chris

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

as stated, it was because of hte non-delivery of the pre-paid items.

also, that was years ago, not months ago that the non-event occurred.

And JT apologized, it seems that he had developed a prescription drug 'problem' and that was why the delivery was delayed.

In the end, no one lost a dime.

9. medoraman

I do feel your pain Chris. Try being an ancient collector some time. We wait months, years, decades, scores for volumes that are promised. Its been 18 years since the first of 14 volumes of Medieval European Coinages came out, and in that time 1 other volume has been published. RIC took about 50 years to be finalized I believe, (maybe longer). Some just stop, like Roman coins in the BM halfway through. At least you have a book to baseline with, we would be happy to have the first edition of many of these works before getting upset about updates. :)

Chris

10. cpm9ball

I think you misunderstood me. JT is a personal friend, and I defended him during the 4th Edition delays. I was one of those who had pre-paid but it didn't bother me. I never said it was months ago, and he gave the presentation for the 5th Edition on behalf of Whitman at FUN 2008. I know because JT and I played pool, had dinner together and he was my guest at the NGC Luncheon. I'm not complaining about anything JT had done, but I know that Whitman has had all of the new additions for 2-1/2 years. So, what is their problem?

Chris

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

What is the problem?

no clue.

Draft saved Draft deleted